• Register Today It's free!

Tranny Trouble

shmockey

Reaction score
City, State
Windsor, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Ok I think I posted this in the wrong section to start with so here I go again, I am a new member here but a long time Ford owner my first car as a 16 year old was a pinto and it just stayed in me ever since

My transmission just lost all of its fluid, I got it towed home and up on jack stands and I see what looks to be a vent tube on the drivers side of the tranny near the shifting linkage that appears spit out all of the fluid. My question is, is this a vent tube for the tranny and what would have caused it to spit all the fluid out of it?? And if I am thinking of this wrong feel free to let me know, I would just like to get this fixed and running again. Oh and mine is a 1999 4.0 SOHC with an auto trans.

Thanks for any help

thanks for the reply

I have looked at the two tranny lines they seem fine and dry

I am guessing that the fluid came out the line that I see because it is not wet anywhere in front of that line

the tranny was not acting bad before, but the "O/D off" light would flash once in a while, I flipped the O/D button on and off and it worked fine, so not sure

I think all of the fluid is out, doesn’t show any on the dipstick

and last I went and got a manual, that doesn’t even go into any sort of detail on the tranny

maybe this can give more insight as to what I have already done

Just checking if you found out why it spilled out the vent tube? Mine just did this to day after being rebuilt and the OD light was flashing. Please let me know what you found out. I'm not on here much so may be you could email me with it. Thanks so much.
billbehm2003@yahoo.com

I bought mine and "assumed" it was a bad pan gasket or warped pan... It turned out to be a hole in the transmission caused by the REV drum band snapping... If your trans is hemorrhaging fluid you might be best served to thoroughly check the trans case for a crack or hole. It is not uncommon from the research I have been doing.

If it IS a crack or hole there is a strong likelyhood that something INSIDE the trans let go and Caused the hole.

Hopefully it is something simple for you, please keep us posted!

Back