• Register Today It's free!

Tranny fluid pressure

tgregory13

Reaction score
City, State
raleigh nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 xlt
I have a 93 explorer, auto trans, and I was trying to change the tranny fluid by disconnecting the hoses going to the tranny cooler and re routing them... out into a empty bucket and in into a bucket of new atf... in my mind i thought the old would be pumped out and the new be drawn into the line.... i could pump out the old but the in was not sucking the new fluid in, had to add it threw the dipstick tube...

is this normal or should there have been some suction to draw the new fluid into the tranny

also trying to figure out why it wont shift into gear when cold..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What you decribed is normal. It will not suck the fluid out of the bucket.

You need to add fluid at the fill pipe at the same rate as it is sucked out. I use a graduated bucket and try and keep adding as fast as it fills the bucket. I cannot and have a helper in the drivers seat to turn it off while I catch up. He or she usually has to stop it a couple times or more.

You mean when cold and you select D or OD it just acts like it is in neutral, or there is no 1-2 shift?

"You mean when cold and you select D or OD it just acts like it is in neutral"

yep.... i have to rev the motor while in gear and it will go into gear... sometimes it will act like you are in neutral after you drive for alittle bit 2 or 3 miles, pull up to a stop sign and when you go to take off, nothing...

thanks for the help
Todd

Gonna try one of these next time to easy my pain of pumping the damn whole flush by hand. HERE

also wondering if the pump might be bad and causing this... when i was doing the complete fluid swap i could only get the fluid to flow by putting it in reverse and revving the motor... shouldnt the pump, pump in neutral at idle?

In that neither your motor or oil pump don't reverse direction when you shift the transmission into reverse, the answer to your question is yes. The oil pump should move fluid regardless of the gear selection.

When's the last time the filter was changed?

Back