• Register Today It's free!

Tran's fluid draining into oil?

Scroggins

Reaction score
City, State
Lewiston, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
Ok so my wife's uncle has a 92' Explorer, every thing is the same as mine. He is having a problem where the trans fluid drains into the motor oil, simple fix I guess, just a pain in the ass to get to. Im wondering if this is a common problem with 91-94 Explorers. Is it something I should keep an eye out for or just a fluke with his?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tranny fluid draining into the motor oil? Man,I ain't picking on you but I don't see how that's even possible.Tranny fluid on ground,in radiator sure.But into the engine? Give me some details,you have my attention.:D

The only place they even get close is a vacuum line from the Trans to the engine.

Soo, "in theory" it is possible that the vacuum modulator on the trans is bad (passenger side, rear-ish, outside of trans) and that ATF is being sucked up into the intake manifold. Get enough of it there and it will get past the rings.

~Mark

Never heard about this problem before...Guess it is possible so if it is "simple fix" tell us how you plan to do it and what you think is causing it.

pretty much not possible. why do you think its trans fluid, once trans fluid mixes with the oil it will pretty much all be the same color. Much more likely is a coolant leak into the oil causing the oil level to go up.

Do a search for this. I know I've seen this at least two other times on the forum.

Makes sense, in theory it could get into the oil that way,but that truck would be smoking like a freight train.:D

The only place they even get close is a vacuum line from the Trans to the engine.
~Mark

I dont think so, it would just burn it. Like safn1949 said, smokey Joe.

Trans fluid in the coolant, yes I understand, not in the engine oil.

Bob :dunno:

Hey, this is post 900, crap, I was saving that for my birthday tomorrow.

I see it like a bad fuel pressure regulator.

You can get enough fuel in there that it washes the rings and actually gets into the oil. Its been reported a few times. Normally its people asking how they got fuel into their oil.

I'd guess that it actually gets "into" the oil when its shut down. When running it would burn off..

~Mark

I see it like a bad fuel pressure regulator.

You can get enough fuel in there that it washes the rings and actually gets into the oil. Its been reported a few times. Normally its people asking how they got fuel into their oil.

I'd guess that it actually gets "into" the oil when its shut down. When running it would burn off..

~Mark

I understand all that, but how would you not notice the smoke?

You should have seen what happened when my pcv popped out of the vaccine tube driving back from Eagle River in a snow storm. You want to see strange stuff, I had to chuck the Air Filter at a road side stop because it was oil soaked. Figure that one out. So ya, your correct strange things can happen when little parts fail.

Bob

Soo, "in theory" it is possible that the vacuum modulator on the trans is bad (passenger side, rear-ish, outside of trans) and that ATF is being sucked up into the intake manifold. Get enough of it there and it will get past the rings.

~Mark

Thats exactly what he said was the problem. I was trying to remember what part he said was bad, but was drawing a blank. I personally havent worked on his rig so i dont know, just going on what he said. This is the first a/t ive owned, so a lot of stuff like that is new to me. grew up driving and working on manual's

Thats exactly what he said was the problem. I was trying to remember what part he said was bad, but was drawing a blank. I personally havent worked on his rig so i dont know, just going on what he said. This is the first a/t ive owned, so a lot of stuff like that is new to me. grew up driving and working on manual's

Huh,learn something new all the time.:D

You need a Transmission modulator valve if you are loosing ATF into the motor oil.

The bad valve sucks ATF into the intake throught the vacuum lines. I had this problem. Bought the part and paid a local shop $100 to install it. Problem solved.

Good Luck! Yes, it is a common problem.

You need a Transmission modulator valve if you are loosing ATF into the motor oil.

The bad valve sucks ATF into the intake throught the vacuum lines. I had this problem. Bought the part and paid a local shop $100 to install it. Problem solved.

Good Luck! Yes, it is a common problem.

Well at least if it starts happening I know what the problem is. SOunds fairly cheap to fix too.

Back