Trans slips, 1992 ranger xlt 3.0 auto 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trans slips, 1992 ranger xlt 3.0 auto 2WD

DBA4X4

Reaction score
City, State
Seaman, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Ranger XLT
the transmission slips for a short spurt in 2nd gear. shifts to second and out of second fine but shortly after in gets into 2nd at about 20mph (cold) it slips and about 25mph (warm) it slips. if I shift it manually then there is no problem in drive or overdrive it slips. I changed the fluid and filter to see if it would fix the problem, the old filter had a ripped screen. it did not fix the problem so what is wrong?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm guessing that 3.0 has the A4LD, do you know if it does?

a4ld tranny >.>

Maybe turn the intermediate band adjustment bolt in a half turn to see if it gets better, or check and or replace the intermediate servo piston.

Other areas are in the valve body, see what the band adjustment does before diving into the valve body.

this all started happening when I put a new auto tranny modulator onto it.

Did you install the little pin the goes between the modulator valve and the actual valve inside the transmission?

Yes I did, should a I check the pin to make sure it didn't break, if it is correct and unbroken, what else could it be? I'm thinking it could be a vacuum leak maybe.

Back