• Register Today It's free!

Trans still slipping

Nuggethead 420

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, wi
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
As of the last 4 or 5 monthes I have been fixing or replacing things in my A4Ld trans in a 91 EB, I have rebuilt the valve body, replaces the TC lockup solinoid and the3-4 shift solinoid, replaced the reverse servo, the OD servo flushed the tranny changed the filter, replaced every seal I could get to and it still slips.

Any Ideas? Next I would like to replace the Torque Converter. It has gotton alot better but it still slips. A slight shift delay in first gear when taking off it slips and drops in if you get on it or slowly if your very ginger on the peddle.

I wanted to avoid the downtime of a complete rebuild and the expense but what else can I try? Most of the threads I have read are very good but some are not for the A4ld others I have already tried and the problem remains.

Any sugestions would be helpfull from anyone.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The line pressures are the next piece of info we need. When you rebuilt the valve body did you add the Sonnax pressure regulator mod?

No I did not, had it out to replace the solinoids and clean passages, checked spools. put it back in. How do you read pressure?

I'd highly recommend that Sonnax modification to the pressure regulator (boost) valve with the O-ring seals. As for the pressure gauge I did a thread on it and added a couple pics to you should find it on the first page in the forums. You might also want to adjust your bands while you are at it too.

This will seem a little redundant but you show it in the diary but not going in so.....this begs the question to the brain dead on a wendsday in wisconsin where is it going back into? am I taking back out the valve body?
Has the sonnax shift upgrade helped or no diff??

Pics would be helpful.

You da bomb glacier!!

Yes it goes into the valve body in place of the stock setup, meaning you have to do it with the VB out. Will it help? In truth that may depend on how well the stock one was working. It is almost mantra in the rebuild industry to replace boost valves in Fords on rebuild... this is an "insurance" sort of mod... if we knew your pressures I might more readily predict whether you will see a change.

ps. TN_Explorer's threads may be helpful in this regard, have you perused them?

Let me look at them and I will get back to you to see if I am still in the fog.
When I took it out I was unaware of the mantra. I just did the solinoids and cleaned out bores and passages.

On an off note what do you think of the extra tranny filter "remote"??
I hear alot of good things but maybe it is a mental blanket.

I have an assembly that will work but don't want top install unless I here something a little more certain.

What is a good TC to get when I replace it in spring? We do not have the nice year round temps so it has to wait till it warms up. Any suggestions.

How are you fairing the rain? Is it really as bad as they show on the tube?

Be safe.

Back