• Register Today It's free!

Trans thump

Zieg95x

Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I have a 06 xlt v6 and when slowing down after it is warm only sometimes it thumps into I think first. Also there is a gap when shifting between 2nd and 3rd but only sometimes and most of the time when it is warm. The gap between shifts doesn't show up when under heavy throttle. I am the second owner and I just got it 2 months ago. My guess is that it might need software upgrade? Anyone else had this issue? I know these transmissions are not the best but my 95 never had these problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 07 with 131k and have the same issues you describe. It has done these things so much I feel they are a normal part of how this unit operates. I notice the uneven shifting most easily under hard acceleration.

The five speed with the V6 had an update about a year or so ago, but I am not sure if it was related to the transmission or not. However, hard downshifts is not a typical trait for this transmission, but a slight lag between 3rd to 4th is normal for the factory tune. I run a superchips tune so I don't notice the 3-4 lag anymore since I run the shift points much more firm.
Not sure how many miles on the vehicle, but it may be as simple as the transmission fluid is low or needs to be serviced.

It has 92k on it.

If you don't have any records of the transmission ever being serviced (maybe ask the previous owner?) I would get it serviced (fluid change).

Back