• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case issue.

newforder

Reaction score
City, State
penfield,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
hi all,we have a 1996 explorer with a problem.while my wife was driving it started to make weird noises when she let off the gas(kinda like a whining) then when she gave it gas it banged into gear.bout a day later she was driving home and it just stopped driving in gear,she shifted into park and in grinded like a manual would if your clutch didn't work.i let it sit 2 days and went and changed the trans fluid and filter,thought it might be what was wrong.went for a test drive and it did the same to me.would not drive in 2wd,or 4wd auto but i shifted to 4wd low and it got me home,was told the transmission is bad or it could be the transfer case.any ideas what it could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a gear is the transfercase thats stripps off. There should be a couple of threads about it. I can't remember the exact name of the gear that strips but in the front of transfercase.

From what it sounds like. You could probably drain the transfer case and see if there is metal shavings in it. If there are, you'll have to pull the T-case out.

Which case?

Do you know which case you have? Reason I am asking is that I just worked on a Borg Warner 4405 (F77A-GA) utilizing the knowledge and advice I have acquired by reading the excellent threads on this site. I had a stripped gear as well, and the exact same symptoms you are having. There are underlying issues that cause this gear (range shifter, HI-LOW collar, what ever) to strip. I just completed my rebuild, but have yet to reinstall the case for a road test. It is not too bad of a job, the rebuild itself, the meat of the job is pulling the case from the drive-train. All pretty straightforward, though, I was probably just a bit slow because I had never done one before.

Plastic shavings...

From what it sounds like. You could probably drain the transfer case and see if there is metal shavings in it. If there are, you'll have to pull the T-case out.

When I drained my transfer case fluid, it was mostly full of white plastic shavings. So I knew the range fork bushings were trashed. When I opened the case, one plastic bushing was completely gone, and the other was in pretty bad shape. I had a small amount of metal on the magnet inside the case.

the garage thinks it is my transfer case motor

the garage thinks it is my transfer case motor

I thought that once...and I was WRONG. It was the shift fork bushings ($1.35 each) and the HI/LOW Collar ($39.90) Now I have an extra motor. YMMV

Double...sorry.

Back