• Register Today It's free!

Transfer case bad???

jdmcb3si

Reaction score
City, State
QCA, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Since we bought the truck we had an issue during turning where I thought it was justt he brakes sticking but now that I read into it, it was the binding of the transfer case.

Now we have a grinding while driving and i think the transfer case just went bad.

The other day we were at the gas station and when the wife backed up and put it in drive there was a sound like we ran over a manhole cover. we drove it home and there didnt seem to be an issue. On the way home yesterday my wife noticed a grinding while driving she pulled over about 4 blocks from the house and came and got me. I got in it and drove and immediately thought the front driveshaft was bad. I pulled it off and took it for a drive. It still does it and the grinding seems to be coming from the middle of the truck so im almost positive the transfer case is the culprit. It seems to shift fine and all but has a bad grinding/vibration while driving.

Any thoughts/comments or any ways to check for sure?

You didn't say if it was AWD? You are driving with the TC selector in Auto and not 4wd? Not sure what TC variations there were in 2003 but you need to post the one that you have?

A Good Candidate!

For eliminating guesswork: Support vehicle on jackstands placed directly below it's suspension points (not rubbing tires, obviously), have a helper run vehicle in Drive, while the other person listens carefully using a stethoscope-type tool, long screwdriver or rubber hose about 1/2" diameter, placing end of steth. on all likely places which could generate the noise: About 20-30 mph on speedometer usually works. Since front driveshaft is already off, one could begin at the transfer case. Check also rear differential, under it's bottom; pinion bearing noise is isolatable thusly, also wheel bearings in all 4 hubs, with driveshafts installed. This not being an AWD (which has no 4WD selector switches), the running test must be done with "4X4 HIGH" selected.\

I was able to pinpoint my noise source ('04 Explorer) using this method, after humming/growling sound persisted for several thousand miles, it turned out to readily be certain the sound was being caused by a wheel bearing, left rear. The bearing torn apart, revealed a spot of "galling: over which the rollers ran, still supported by a bit of good, shiny race surface, but generated noise each time a roller passed the bad spot. Eventually, this bearing would have failed, possibly catastrophically. The sound was very similar to gear noise, and with pinpointing it's source accurately, a whole lot of needless work might have been done. imp

Back