• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Noise

ufgators68

Reaction score
City, State
Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger XLT 4x4
Hi, I'm new to the forum and hoping yall can give me a little help. I've got a 2001 Ranger Supercab XLT 4x4 and there is a noise coming from the transfer case area. It makes ding sound like a rock caught on a skid plate or kind of like an old cow bell. I thought it was just a bearing or something similar where the shaft goes into the T/C but one of the mechanics at the Ford shop said it was inside the transfer case. He's not their "transmission" mechanic but he said it sounded like the chain in the case was loose.

What I'm hoping yall can tell me is, what would cause the chain to come loose? And is this going to require a new T/C? I'm hoping it won't need a new T/C, I've been shopping around and they're almost $1000.00 :( :(

I forgot to mention that 4x4 still works correctly. And it doesn't start doing it noticeably til you get to about 30 mph. No strange noises other than the ding sound.

the transfer case chain comes lose with time (all chains stretch with age during use). but seeing as u have a 2001, its kind of early for ur transfer case to stretch its chain.. i guess this all depends on how hard u push ur ranger tho...

as for the noise, this could be a few things (including a chain thats stretched and rubbing or hitting something else)... if the ranger is still under the 'drive train' waranty, then the dealer would prob. replace the transfer case for free since it is part of the 'drive train'. if ur not, then personally, i would open that transfer case and check out whats making that sound... transfer cases are not very complicated (compared to say a transmission).

steps for taking down the case: remove both driveshafts, disconnect all electrical connectors and breather/air lines, drain the transfer case (through the drain plug), once the plug has stopped dripping, place a jack under it so the case doesnt come tumbling down when it comes off (its relatively heavy), unbolt the case from the transmission (i think its 6 bolts or something like that), slide it back and away from the transmission, and lower the jack... then u just gotta take it to ur backyard or something

oh and when u do drain it, use one of those drain pans with a metal screen over the opening so that any metal in the transfer case's fluid can be caught by the screen. metal in the fluid is a good indication that there's some grinding/shaving going on inside the transfer case.

if it is the chain thats going wacko, then u can order a new chain online or you can get it from somewhere locally (which includes ur local ford dealer).. if it turns out to be something more involved, then you can replace the entire case. i've bought a few manual borg-warner 1354 transfer cases from car-parts.com for a few hundred. im sure you can find a late model one for ur ranger for a few hundred too. all u need to know is the type/model of ur transfer case (use the Search feature of this message board, or go to http://www.therangerstation.com as that site is specifically for rangers). if u do decide to get a new case from say car-parts.com, try to get the part somewhere close to you so you can pick it up locally (shipping a 50-60 lb transfer case isnt cheap).. in addition, this will give u a chance to make sure u are getting the right transfer case before you fork over any money - i once had an electronic transfer case sent to me instead of a manual version - it didnt cost me anything to send it back since the place where i ordered it from paid for the shipping but it set me back 1.5 weeks.

Thanks for the reply. It's probably not too early for the chain to stretch and the warranty is long since gone..lol.. it's got almost 100,000 miles on it, thanks to having to drive about 100 miles round trip every day until a couple of years ago.

I would normally have pulled the T/C off myself but right now I just don't have the time. It's in the shop over at the Ford place as we speak, it needed a couple of other things checked out as well. Had to get the wheels aligned and needed the rear transmission mount replaced. It's been a good truck up to this point, just replaced the normal things....brakes, shocks and such. Hopefully it's just the chain stretched and nothing more major than that. :confused: :confused:

Back