• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Case Which Years

BogFather

Reaction score
City, State
Lower Sackville, Nova Scotia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport, 91 Samurai
Might have been covered before but can't find it. But which years did the Borg Warner 4405 T-cases come in?? Would a 96 have the same T-case as my 2000 ?? :rolleyes: :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Negatory to the maximus -- while it is the same model number, the 2000 transfer case will be missing a sensor in the back (which the 96 transfer case has)

which sensor would that be kind sir ;) ;)

The sensor at the very back of the transfer case.. its near/under the rear output flange. There should be a few wires coming out of it.

Ok i know there is a few wires coming out the back that run to the transfer case motor (actuator). Where do those wires you speak of run to ??

This one -- right under where the rear driveshaft bolts to.

Attachments

• tcase2.jpg
    tcase2.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 601

Thanks IZ, Any idea on which years will work then??

98 and up cases will work.

OK so i have a lead on a transfer case. the guy took it right to the ford dealership and they verified that it is in fact a borg warner 44-05. my question is are all 4405's the same, and should i snatch this one up right away?? DAMN good price and dun wanna miss out :( :(

No not all 4405s are the same and you have to get one from a 98 or later vehicle.

this is right from the guy: its a 4405 verified at Ford dealership today. it dosent have the yolk on the front of it..............

The 97 case also did not have a yoke at the front of it -- it had a cup-looking flange for the CV. If it is a 97, then it will be missing the sensor in the picture. Ask him if the transfer case has a sensor right under the rear output flange - as in the picture above.

here is a couple pics of what he has:

Picture074.jpg

Picture075.jpg

Its hard to tell from the last pic because its taken from the top and what we want to see is the bottom. Ask him to take a pic of the rear flange head-on

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 561

To answer again, no, not al 44-05s are the same. The general groups for the second-gen Explorers are 95-96, 97, and 98-01. 95-96 will have the speed sensor and the U-joint yoke front output. 97 will have the speed sensor and a CV-joint front output shaft. 98-01 will NOT have the rear shaft speed sensor in the case, but will have the CV front output shaft.

The one in the picture has the front CV output, meaning it's got to be a 97-up. If it has the speed sensor, it's a 97, if not it's a 98-01.

If it helps, I believe someone was making an adapter plate for the front output to allow the 97-ups to take a u-joint yoke and eliminate the CV joint. It's been a while since I've seen it mentioned on here, but there was a link to the manufacturer floating around a while back.

ok the guy just sent me a pic of the case and ok i just looked, it has that little sensor behind the rear output shaft flange. So that means it would be no good to me RIGHT ??

Picture089.jpg

Picture088.jpg

Picture085-1.jpg

That transfer case will work -- the sensor is there.

One thing that I do find strange is that this transfer case also has the analog/mechanical sensor on the side -- which you dont need and can ignore.

When you get the tranfer case in, take a few pics of its tag and/or plastic stickers on the body -- my guess is that this is probably a late '97 transfer case (which some one painted blue for some reason :D).

Attachments

• Picture085-1.jpg
    Picture085-1.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 967

OK so just to make my grin a little bigger now LMAO. this t-case WILL work for sure right ??

99.95% sure it will work -- it would have been 99.96% but the barometric pressure is a little low today so that plays a huge factor in my percentages. :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

LMAO now thats funny, GRIN ear to ear now. Made my day bud, FINALLY get my BABY back in the woods where she loves to be. Now to get the $$ together to go pick it and the skid plate up... ;) ;)

Back