Transfer Cases on V8 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfer Cases on V8

V8 trucks had 100% torque to rear wheels until wheel slip. Then an electronic clutch directed torque to the front wheels. I can't remember if it could move more than 50% or not. It could also electronically lock at 50/50. This applied to V8 Explorer and V8 Mountaineer the same (just no low range). And I can confirm that my Mounty operates in this way. So, just because the marketing guys put "AWD" on the hatch, that does not mean it has torque going to all 4 wheels all the time.
+

This is the info I've been looking for for my current issue. I have clunking, thumping and vibration. It get worse as the truck goes faster .while accelerating (noise goes away when I let up on the pedal) Dealer said its the rear diff. Firestone said its the front diff. Based on what you said, it's impossible that the front diff is making the noises I described above since no torque is being delivered until it slips. I was going to hit up another mechanic to get a 3rd opinion, until now. Thanks!

George H: For Towing/OD question, please do a search (or start another topic) in the Towing section.

Waltz... Keep in mind that even when no torque is being transmitted to the front axle, the driveshaft and pumpkin gears are spinning when ever the front wheels are spinning

Back