Transfercase chatter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transfercase chatter

Pitt7542

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt uQ
Hi there guys I have a little problem.I have done the brown wire mod and being that my explorer is right hand drive everything is in the opposite place went through all the directions all good. Pulled the front diff out so I could work on it and still drive it,have a special bung in transfer case so no fluid comes out while driving in 2wd ,now I am not really heavy footed but I was on the grass the other day and started spinning the rear tyres and it sounded like the transfer case was trying to engage.has anyone had. This problem or have I done the mod wrong, there are two brown wires behind the dash joined together one going up over the instrument cluster and one going the other way and they are both different gauge wires I would like to make sure I have cut the right one so can someone tell me which gauge wire is meant to be cut. I am sure it's right as I am driving it in two wd at the moment and I also topped up the transfer case when I pulled the shaft out
Thanks

I hope you know that if you remove both the front axle with the axle shafts, there is nothing mechanical to keep the front wheel bearings from falling apart.

Yes I knew that,I dismantled the cvs and kept that bit in there any ideas on the transfer case chatter

This problem or have I done the mod wrong, there are two brown wires behind the dash joined together one going up over the instrument cluster and one going the other way and they are both different gauge wires I would like to make sure I have cut the right one so can someone tell me which gauge wire is meant to be cut.

You can do a continuity check on the brown wire you cut and the brown wire that goes into the t-case to check whether or not the correct wire was cut.

Back