Transferring 1993 Ford Explorer XLT tow rig to 2001 Mercury Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transferring 1993 Ford Explorer XLT tow rig to 2001 Mercury Mountaineer

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this site and have a question.
Unfortunately, I must retire my 1993 Ford Explorer XLT due to expensive motor repair and/or replacement. I purchased a 2001 Mercury Mountaineer that doesn't have an underneath tow rig package and would like to know if the 1993 tow rig would fit on the 2001 Mountaineer. Thank you.

There is a good chance that it will fit. I have seen aftermarket hitches listed for 1993 - 2001 Explorers using just one part number for all years.

I'm drawing a blank on the brand, but I bought a new name-brand hitch a few years ago, and it's labelled for all Explorers 2001 and earlier - in other words all 1st and 2nd Gen Explorers/Mountaineers. I had no need of it then or now, but it was brand new and on clearance for $30 at a farm supply store I happened to stop in just to see what they had.

Yes, the trailer hitches will swap between 1st and 2nd gen Explorers. I have read that the 1991 model was unique in some ways like the front seat tracks, but I bet the rear frame is also the same as later 92+ trucks. I had a trailer hitch off of my 98 Mountaineer to powder coat it, and I confirmed it would fit on the rear of my old 93 frame, before I scrapped that truck chassis etc.

Some rare hitches have more serious under frame bracing. Those may be minor problems for any truck if the back end isn't stock for other reasons. I shopped for a long time before deciding to reuse my Mercury's hitch, clean it up and kill the rust, powder coat it etc. So I read the descriptions of many saying they fit all early years. That was back in the 2007 range, I haven't paid attention to hitch information since then.

Back