Transgo Shift Kit Experiences?

JoshMcMadMac

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Waynesboro, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I am about to rebuild the valvebody on my '02 Mountaineer. I have a new solenoid pack and the Transgo shift kit. I am curious about others experiences with this kit. Does it make the shifts too firm? Does it help to fix the "lag" when accelerating from a stop? Any pros/cons would be greatly appreciated! :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didnt even know they made shift kits for our trucks.

There are no shift kits(real shift kits can achieve very firm shifts) for any of the 5R automatics. All of those VB kits available are correction kits, they are for correcting inherent problems, and improving the shifts. They are all good to use, they do firm up the shifts, and unless something is wrong, they never create harsh shifts.

The term shift kit is abused, TransGo had the rights to those words, they were the first. The rights to "shift kit" ended long long ago, so everyone now uses the words.

Lots of real shift kits are available, but only for the most common performance vehicle transmissions. The AOD Ford and all related trans' can get shift kits, and correction kits too. That means the 4R70W is fortunate to have choices of the correction kits, which run about $40, and shift kits that are typically $100.

With correction kits(not what they call them, go by the price), if there is a choice, select the firmest choice, they will not be too firm. You have to be very careful when selecting firmness for a real shift kit, those do get harsh. Regards,

There are no shift kits(real shift kits can achieve very firm shifts) for any of the 5R automatics. All of those VB kits available are correction kits, they are for correcting inherent problems, and improving the shifts. They are all good to use, they do firm up the shifts, and unless something is wrong, they never create harsh shifts.

The term shift kit is abused, TransGo had the rights to those words, they were the first. The rights to "shift kit" ended long long ago, so everyone now uses the words.

Lots of real shift kits are available, but only for the most common performance vehicle transmissions. The AOD Ford and all related trans' can get shift kits, and correction kits too. That means the 4R70W is fortunate to have choices of the correction kits, which run about $40, and shift kits that are typically $100.

With correction kits(not what they call them, go by the price), if there is a choice, select the firmest choice, they will not be too firm. You have to be very careful when selecting firmness for a real shift kit, those do get harsh. Regards,

Thats all great information, but TransGo calls it a shift kit...and I am looking for personal experiences with the kit. :thumbsup:

Yes, they also abuse the term. Call them and they will confirm that it is a correction kit as I described it. Their detailed product descriptions usually mention that the kits are made to correct factory shifting, symptoms like you mentioned etc.

I have used TransGo kits more than anyone you will find. I like their products more than other brands, because they always start from the view of correcting inherent problems. Ford automatics are always in need of improvements, as Ford develops them and corrects things over the years.

I installed a TranGo VB kit in my 91 Explorer, 93 Explorer, 99 Explorer, and my 98 Mountaineer, to name a few. The VB kits for the V6 trans are correction kits as I stated. The shifts are firmer than stock, not harsh, and timed a little better. Some people not familiar with their vehicle would not notice much difference. My 98 truck has a V8 in it, thus TransGo makes two kits for those, three if you count the racing type manual shifting kit. I've put both kinds into two different police 95 Crown Vics, the real shift kit is better for my shifting tastes. For my truck I also wanted the harder shifting of their "$100" kit, its shifts are much firmer than the "correction kit" that costs about $40, same type as your 5R VB kit you mention.

There are a few brands, TransGo is simply the original shift kit builders and do a fine job of what they are designed to do. It takes some careful patient work, and good snap ring pliers and a 1/4" torque wrench. Find a good trans guy or be patient and have a manual handy with pictures to show where all of the VB parts go. Tiny clips and parts are easy to lose track of.

Find and read the VB rebuild threads here, they will help you visualize most of what you would be doing. There are subtle differences between the pre-2002 trans internal parts and what is commonly shown in those threads. But your trans is a descendant of the 5R55E of the 97-01's. If it's the V6 version it's almost identical, and the V8 trans is not a ton different. Good luck,

Browse into this thread, Chris is great at VB work and with pictures;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140987&highlight=5R55E+rebuild

Great information; thanks Don. Any idea how different the 5R55S is from the 5R55E?

Ask James, he did install one into his 99 Sport for its better strength. James is also the resident PCM tuner, he can help more with shift feel and timing if you need it. The VB kits only do so much for the 5R's, the PCM controls a lot with fluid pressure and the shift commands.

I think the latest model five speeds are as strong as they can get, and the older ancestors are probably 80% as strong, or less(the A4LD is poor).

Back