Transmission -AGAIN

zhanx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Up state NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xls
i love my transmission it costs me money.. :mad: its starting to slip when it gets warm... i am thinking of getting an aux cooler to help prolong the life of it.

here is my problem - 1-2 shift slips a little after it warms up..

what would help and what of the follow are my options really

tranny cooler and remote filter?
fluid/filter change? (do i need special fluid like ford says?)

rebuilding it myself is not an option right now which sucks cause i would.

this sucks cause the warrenty is out on it.. ford got to love it sometimes.. thinking getting a c-5 and saying screw the od...

oh and if your sugestting stuff make it bulletproof i want to upgrade the cam and tb and stuff like that soon for more power. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bump

What does the fluid look like?

Before you waste a bunch of money, pull the pan and 'check for chunks' and see if the fluid is all burnt .... if the fluid is all burnt and you have pieces of transmission in the pan (Basically anything in the pan besides fluid) then your just throwing away money on something that's about dead

You better 'bullet proof' you tranny if you are adding more power, if it can't take it now, more HP and torque is just going to make the problem worse ...

Zhanx, does your transmission have the 1-2 'flare', where the second gear has delayed engagement? If so, follow along with Glacier's 5R55E valve body rebuild thread. Ford offers a kit that includes a revised blow-off valve and separator plate, that's supposed to cure the shift flare. The part numbers are listed in his thread.

is the flare like it slips or hesitates/ slides slowly in to second? if so yes, does it when warm - hence getting the secondary cooler and filter mightb e a good idea.. if the flare is that i'll look into it

ok i finallly got arround to the tranny, the fluid is nice and pink , not burnt, does has some grit to it so i am ordering a remote filter kit along with a new filter and gasket. does anyone use the amsoil the price is kind of high on it

Back