Solved - Transmission and Axle codes. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Transmission and Axle codes.

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Towing and the xmission ....hmmmm

My 2005 Sport Trac has a Code of "D" on the door sticker which according to the above posts means it has a A5LDE / 5R44/ 55E xmission. Now the dumb part......what does that tell me about the transmission...especially since I'm thinking of towing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Front Diff Year compatibility?

I have a 96 5.0L AWD Eddie Bauer. The front diff is starting to grumble, am I correct in thinking that given the correct ratio, they should swap from 96 to 01?

I also have a 99 Explorer Limited with a growly front axle. The dor code says D4, which I assume means a 3.73 rear, does this mean the front must also be a 3.73? Logic would seem to dictate that, but I want to make sure before I buy a replacement.

thanks!

Yes, it must.

Sweet. At least now I know what I need to GET, but I should probably still confirm this by looking at the tag on the unit, correct? (it'd be my luck someone replaced the door!)Where is the tag usually located- one of the bolts you can't reach with the diff in the vehicle?

Thanks for the extremely rapid reply, btw.

trans code ??

i have a 97 explorer with trans problems ..... having found this site while trying to fing out what model trans i have by looking at the code on the door tag .... only to find that under "tr" it says "B" ... I can send a photo of the tag, but i dont see a "B" for models listed ..... can anyone help me out please .... by the way i am in New Zealand, not sure wether it should make a difference but thought id mention it .....cheers

Sweet. At least now I know what I need to GET, but I should probably still confirm this by looking at the tag on the unit, correct? (it'd be my luck someone replaced the door!)Where is the tag usually located- one of the bolts you can't reach with the diff in the vehicle?

Thanks for the extremely rapid reply, btw.

match your vin, its on the door decal and dash

97 explorer trans ... "B" code ????

i know it sounds bizar since i havent seen a B code mentioned unless im reading the door label wrong !!!

this is how it reads :

EXT PNT: XC TR l RC: 9H l DSO:

Any help would be very appreciated

Thanks in advance Grant

97 explorer trans

i feel like a complete plonker ......... ill put it down to old age ..... i have just realised i was looking under the wrong "TR" part on the label .... so it appears i do in fact have a 5R55E ?? Im not usually so slow !!

from what i read above and through this forum the 96 with a 4.0 should not come with a 4r70w but thats what my door says it has. the only reason im looking is to find a trans for it since it just quit the other day after a year of problems with it.

Are the transmission and axle codes correct on the above diagram. I have a 1995 ford explorer and i want to know if a 1994 transmission will fit in it.
T (1992-1995) ..... A4LD
T (1996-2001) ...... 4R55E

But it looks different on the pans. I read the 95 was computer controlled please help,

I need some help as well.

I have an automatic transmission. Door tag says "D" and this is a 1998 V6 OHV.

D (1997-2005) ..... A5LDE / 5R44/55E

So is that the 5R55E, a 5-speed auto? I would have sworn it is a 4 spd...

My transmission code says "V" which is supposed to be 5R55S, but I've read other things that says its 5R55W. Its a 2003 XLT 4X4 4.0. Any help would be appreciated.Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1995 XLT with the transmission code 'T' on the door, however it has a 4r55e in it. I have been inside it once already and it is definitely not a a4ld as it has all 6 solenoids etc. curious if anyone else has noticed anything like this?

I have a 95 Eddie Bauer and I have the same issue. According to the chart in this thread, we should both have the A4, but it appears this may be wrong.

I had this same issue when I rebuilt the transfer case.

so, anyone know how to identify the transmission by looking at it, rather than relying on the door tag? I want to order a kit but I want to make sure its the right one. Thank you in advance

Back