Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "bump" aka "hard shifting" TSB

I have felt that bump you are referring to. I am coming from a diesel ford excursion so this car is a big difference. It is much smoother and i want to treat it nice so i have been babying it. I wonder if i should drive it a little more normal and stop treating it with kid gloves to see if i continue to feel it. It did catch me of guard the two times i felt it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey guys,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory
Cory, I took my car into my favorite dealer last weekend for my 10,000 mile maintenance and the Adviser said that the transmission "bump" is normal when slowing down towards a stop...and then accelerating.

But why would a "bump" be normal when I am slowly pushing down the pedal (I am not slamming the pedal down).

I'll send you my info so that you can help me.

Art

I have felt that bump you are referring to. I am coming from a diesel ford excursion so this car is a big difference. It is much smoother and i want to treat it nice so i have been babying it...
...Thankfully this has only happened three times to my truck or I would not drive it...
roadrash3 & xplanfan,

Keep us in the loop with how it’s shifting and drop me a line for help.

...I'll send you my info so that you can help me.

Art
Thanks for the heads up, Art; I’ll shoot a reply as soon as I can.

Cory

I am glad this TSB also changes out about 1/2 of the trans fluid. The service interval on the trans fluid is 150,000 miles. So I am good-to-go for my entire ownership. I would have changed the fluid early, but probably not now. I'll keep it till about the 120K mile mark.

After about 1,000 miles, the trans is shifting real nice. No bumps.

I am glad this TSB also changes out about 1/2 of the trans fluid. The service interval on the trans fluid is 150,000 miles. So I am good-to-go for my entire ownership. I would have changed the fluid early, but probably not now. I'll keep it till about the 120K mile mark.

Bill,
I'm glad this TSB fix is working for your 2011 Explorer and sincerely hope its fixed for good. As you can read some of us are experiencing the transmission bump in out 2012. And our dealer's mechanics are treating this bump as normal for the 2012. I'm curious if this us how it played out for the the 2011 bump feature prior to the Ford issuing the TSB to fix it? In other words did your mechanic say it was normal operation up until you walked in with the TSB in hand? -thanks.:scratch:

That’s great it’s been smooth sailing for you, Bill! :)

Bill,
I'm glad this TSB fix is working for your 2011 Explorer and sincerely hope its fixed for good. As you can read some of us are experiencing the transmission bump in out 2012...
xplanfan,

In case you didn’t see yet, I sent you a follow-up PM.

Cory

Hey guys,

I’m available to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. If you haven’t already, send a PM with your VIN, contact information, dealer name/state, and approximate mileage.

Cory

Cory, I recently sent you a PM on this issue and a few others. Are you still working with us to try and help?

Cory, I recently sent you a PM on this issue and a few others. Are you still working with us to try and help?
Yes I am, TripFoeYa; I’ve dedicated the rest of the day to “un-swamp” my inbox. :)

Cory

That’s great it’s been smooth sailing for you, Bill! :)

xplanfan,

In case you didn’t see yet, I sent you a follow-up PM.

Cory

Cory,
FYI, my local CSM Susan called me to follow-up, but nothing has changed. She believes my local Ford mechanic's expert opinion that hard shifts or bumps are normal in six speed transmissions. She reminded me that she gave me the extended maintenance plan so that I could continue to monitor the situation. It is clear to me that until the problem is worse or at least repeatable it won't get fixed. I repeated my concern that this bump when it happens it's severe enough so that I won't let my wife drive the Explorer for fear she would freak out. Anyway, thanks for trying.

Cory,
FYI, my local CSM Susan called me to follow-up, but nothing has changed. She believes my local Ford mechanic's expert opinion that hard shifts or bumps are normal in six speed transmissions. She reminded me that she gave me the extended maintenance plan so that I could continue to monitor the situation...
Thank you for the update, xplanfan; I want to make sure we’re doing everything we can to resolve this.

I also sent you a follow-up PM with more details.

Cory

The "bump" is definitely not normal. When I heard it I half expected to see the transmission laying in the road behind me in the mirror. Took it to my dealer, no questions asked they did the TSB and now it drives as smooth as ever. Good fix. Also had the radiator fan replaced (and radiator since they punched a hole in the radiator during the fix).

I am having the exact same problem. To add pain to this I now live in England and am having a hard time explaining to the dealership what the deal is and getting them to agree to work on this. any suggestions

Has anyone had this TSB performed on an EX built after 4/11? My EX has had this problem for over a year. It has been in 3 times for it. They only thing they have done is software updating, etc. I'm taking it in for the burning smell TSB and would like to have my shifting finally fixed. Of course the dealer will not order any parts in preparation because my build date is 7/11 and not covered by the TSB which is limited to 4/11 builds. One interesting issue is that the TSB specifically references transmissions with the Mercon LV designation on the transmission dipstick. My EX has that designation yet built on 7/11. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same problem here, 5/11 build date, just outside of TSB. I have had this problem surface several times. Took it to the dealer, "could not duplicate" supposedly updated something, sent me on my way.....still unresolved.

Not sure what my wife's Ex build date is, but she's noticed it a few times lately. I was going to mention it when I took it in for the next oil change. It's funny because the whole time I drove down to Florida and back, I never noticed it but while I was with her a few times I noticed it as well.:scratch:

Mine is the same as yours with a build of 5/11. The shifting is really rough when I am going slow like in traffic or such. Been in twice and they have given me the "can't duplicate" and the TSB doesn't apply to it because it has a build date after 4/11. Still have a while on my warranty so hopefully something with come up before that ends.

Our build date is 4/30/11 and we experienced the hard shifting issue when driving at slow speeds in our neighborhood.

We have speed humps thru-out the neighborhood and when you would slow down to cross the hump and then put your foot back on the gas the transmission would slam so hard you would think you'd been rear ended.

We took it in to be looked at under the TSB. The service mgr called us later that day and said they opened up the transmission to perform the work and then realized the TSB "fix" had already been applied at the factory. So they put it back together and did nothing.

Interestingly tho, after we got it back the issue is now gone. It used to happen weekly, and now I think it has happened once in the last year, and much less severe than before.

I wish I knew exactly what "did nothing" was, but it was effective. ;)

I was really hoping to get some love from Ford Customer Service. My EX has been in the shop from 30 to 35 days since I purchased it. It has had the following TSB performed: 1. A pillar rattle, 2. Rain roof noise, 3. Coolant hose replacement, 4. Squeaking front suspension. In addition, the windshield cowl replaced, both front HIDs replaced and been in 3 times for the transmission bump issue, the continued squeaky front suspension. I'm not going to bother mentioning the MFT. What do I need to do to get a car that works as expected? How many times, how many days does it have to spend at the dealer for me to get my money's worth out of this car? Sorry for ranting.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone!

The first step is making an appointment with your dealerships so they can take a look. Additionally, you can reach out to me so I can see how I can assist; all I need from you is a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name. I'll get to work!

Thanks,

Crystal

Back