• Register Today It's free!

Transmission deceleration issue.

SauldM

Reaction score
City, State
Carteret
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Piu
Hi all, My 2015 explorer interceptor when I hard brake it decelerate hard and if I press gas pedal to take off, does not respond right away. It's like deceleration is still on. Please help with issue. Car has 175K miles and I'm 2nd owner. Any suggestions please what issue could be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2015 explorer interceptor when I hard brake it decelerate hard and if I press gas pedal to take off, does not respond right away. It's like deceleration is still on. Please help with issue.
If it's not pursuit mode kicking in, it could be a dirty or clogged air filter. Check that. If it's fine, then I'd start looking at the throttle body being the culprit for the hesitation. It could also be running too lean if it's hesitating to take off. The hard braking and deceleration is obviously from you slamming on the brakes, unless I'm missing something. Is there a check engine light or powertrain malfunction light (the wrench)? I'm not a mechanic, this is just based off my research. Good luck.

Could be a dirty or clogged air filter. Check that. If it's fine, then I'd start looking at the throttle body being the culprit for the hesitation. It could also be running too lean if it's hesitating to take off. The hard braking and deceleration is obviously from you slamming on the brakes, unless I'm missing something. Is there a check engine light or powertrain malfunction light (the wrench)? I'm not a mechanic, this is just based off my research. Good luck.
No lights at all on the dash.

Pursuit Mode is kicking in.

Search and you will find plenty of information here.

Go back to my post and read the second line.

Oh, I'm not that interested. Willing to bet it's what Ford would call "transmission programming". I agree. Normal operation.

Would I be able to modify it with Forscan or has to be the dealer?

I don't know if you can modify it.

If the engine speed goes to like 4000-6000 RPM when you brake, it's pursuit mode activating and completely normal.

Thank you yes it is. So weird but I get it why it does it.
Glad it wasn't an actual transmission issue. Pursuit mode allows the vehicle to accelerate quicker when you brake real hard. It also will prioritize power over fuel efficiency. The gas pedal will also become more sensitive.

I really do not like Pursuit Mode and would love a way to disable it. Has anybody found any way to disable it?

I really do not like Pursuit Mode and would love a way to disable it. Has anybody found any way to disable it?
Ford should be able to for you. Not sure what they'd charge for it.

Ford should be able to for you. Not sure what they'd charge for it.
They may or may not. Ford dealer techs seem very reluctant to make changes to OEM vehicles, be it hardware or software.

Peter

Back