Transmission jumps on deceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission jumps on deceleration

kendrickkay

Reaction score
City, State
SPANAWAY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford explorer 4DR AW
Hello everyone, I have a 2017 ford explorer police interceptor, the transmission jumps on deceleration, it does well when accelerating but the jump only happens on deceleration. I just replaced the transmission fluid but the problem still persist. When slowing down or when the engine is used to slow the vehicle down,that's when I get the jump. Can anyone help me with possible ideas as to what the problem might be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Transmission is programmed to downshift when decelerating, it's so that the car is ready to punch it. Shouldn't be an actual transmission issue. It's also programmed to downshift aggressively when you stomp on the brakes.

Transmission is programmed to downshift when decelerating, it's so that the car is ready to punch it. Shouldn't be an actual transmission issue. It's also programmed to downshift aggressively when you stomp on the brakes.
It only jumps when it's slowing down to almost a complete stop, I'll say around 3 or second gear then it jumps once, sometimes when I drive all day, it doesn't do it.

I had this very problem with our 2015 Edge which shares the same drive train with the Explorer. On deceleration the transmission would do a hard downshift many times. The fix was installing a new transmission control module. Luckily this was covered under a warranty because the cost was around $4k.

I had this very problem with our 2015 Edge which shares the same drive train with the Explorer. On deceleration the transmission would do a hard downshift many times. The fix was installing a new transmission control module. Luckily this was covered under a warranty because the cost was around $4k.
Thank you for the heads up I will have to look into that as well and see if that fixes the problem

Back