Transmission fluid drop pan and change filter or just fluid change? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid drop pan and change filter or just fluid change?

Way less messy to pump it out the cooler. You can also do that to save fluids if you're doing other repairs or vb mods. Won't hurt it to run it dry, unless maybe you tried to run it for a good bit with no fluid in there to lube the pump and tc bushing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This page has been around since before I bought my 98 new (and long before it was moved here). It started out real basic but if you read down several improvements were suggested over the original method. I have followed the tranny flush through cooler line method at slightly less than the recommended 40K mile intervals. It is not that hard, but yes ,you do need to pay attention until you are done, it is not a maintenance Item that you can just walk away from in the middle of it.

Changing ATF Ford Explorer Transmission Fluid Change

I'd change the fluid whatever is the most convenient way, but change it. We just got an 05 and I'm still working on changing every drop of fluid it takes. I had the trans rebuilt so that's good to go, had the oil done as the same time. Bled out the brakes, still going to flush the radiator. Also going to clean out the diffs and the transfer case. Replace everything you can possibly replace.

I knew if I posted this would get lots of thoughts.
So thanks to everyone for their input.
I'm going to go down the oil cooler route, I have purchased 10 quarts of mecron V so going to either Syphon out sump then refill then continue to pump out and add equal amounts until fluid looks good.
P.s. I bought the proper Mercon V as didn't want to chance any other fluid, but I do have about 10 litres of Mannol dexron iii plus oil which clearly states Mercon V spec any thoughts on using this for my power steering fluid change?
Thanks to all those who reply in advance.

imo, i would use it in the PS if i still had it. ideally mercon, but in PS im not sure i tmakes too large of a difference? not too sure though, ive always just used the same merc that goes intothe tranny

Just an idea, not saying that it’s the way to go:
Why change it at all? Other than engine oil, the tranny oil doesn’t come in contact with dirty air/water/gasoline. Shouldn’t it be just fine if it really has only 20K miles of heat cycles etc on it?
If you decide to change it, I’d say Donalds dipstick way is just fine for a general maintenance update until you reach a higher mileage.
Enjoy! It’s just an amazing vehicle!
Mine sat for several years and it shifted rough when I got it, I just did a fluid exchange through the dip stick and it ran fine after that. It may be sealed but the fluid will degrade over time, same with any fluid or oil in any vehicle.

Remember, DO NOT use Mercon V in the transfer case. Fine everywhere else, mandatory in the trans—NOT in the transfer case

Remember, DO NOT use Mercon V in the transfer case. Fine everywhere else, mandatory in the trans—NOT in the transfer case
merc LV right?

Regular Dextron/Mercon is the factory fill. Still very available.
reallt? couldnt find it whenever i looked, maybe i need to look harder... i only saw merc v and couldve sworn fordtechnakuloco mentioned merc lv

reallt? couldnt find it whenever i looked, maybe i need to look harder... i only saw merc v and couldve sworn fordtechnakuloco mentioned merc lv
LV would be what you’d get at Ford. Should certainly be available at any Walmart or auto store.

LV would be what you’d get at Ford. Should certainly be available at any Walmart or auto store.
i see v and lv. bht not normal merc/dex

i see v and lv. bht not normal merc/dex
I believe that most Walmart’s and big box stores now just carry the generic one type fits most. At least around me. The auto part stores have everything you need still. I personally add a little Lucas trans stop leak to my t cases and swear by it. It’s very clean in the cases thus trans fluid not gear oil. No matter what you do to trans, t case, or anything. The #1 killer of these things is water intrusion. All the glues are water based that Ford uses and water breaks it all down so clutch material softens. However being an electric trans and t case I recommend taking the connectors (any you can reach, any you can take the time to do) and put some electrical grease in the connectors. These things like full batteries and good connections. Great vehicles. You seem like you care about it. Hopefully you keep it nice enough we will all be discussing the electric motor swaps in a few years. Happy trails man.

Great tip on the connectors. I do that with all my vehicles. Pull, spray with contact cleaner, let dry, dielectric grease.

Also, when you change your oil filter, but a thin smear of dielectric grease on the gasket. It makes removing the filter much easier, and works WAY better than oil. It’s a trick I learned from working on airplanes, where air cooled engines get so hot that they cook the gasket to the block. Silicone/dielectric grease is the ticket.

You can still find the old Dex/Merc in big jugs at auto parts stores and WalMart and such. I tend to use that stuff (cheap) in the TC and PS systems, saving the expensive stuff (I like Motorcraft Merc V) for the trans.

I believe LV is fine in the transfer cases, but I doubt the price point is very good.

Hi All, I recently purchased a 1997 ford explorer 4wd (UK) 4.0 SOHC it's in amazing condition for 25 years old I am only the third owner.
It has only covered 22,000 miles.
Anyway I am going through maintenance jobs on it, recently changed the intake manifold gaskets due to rough start, oil change plugs and leads etc.
I just purchased Mercon V fluid for a transmission fluid change and was thinking of pumping out from front cooler and replacing through dipstick filler until all fluid changed, my reason for this method is my Cat is under the pan and have read how awkward it is to remove.
I would be changing on my driveway with ramps so not great clearance, I have no leaks or gear change issues.
So looking for some feedback / thoughts as it's only extremely low mileage an fluid looks clean on dipstick and smells good
Do I just change fluid for now and then filter if still own at 50,000 miles.

Also will the Mercon V be okay in my power steering?

Thanks Darren
22k i just drain and refill but never flush, use turkey baster or pump change p/s again dont flush
drain antifreeze look at condition green just change rusty mild flush and check hoses my now dead 99 has original hoses and belts plug and wires. 120.000 miles check brake flued if discolored change dot3 us sounds like you got great start .
im in cape coral fl if anyone wants parts truck motor is still good needs clutch and antitheft surface rust

Back