Transmission fluid on the extension housing? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid on the extension housing?

MarT

Reaction score
City, State
Maceió, BRAZIL
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
I'd noticed a small transmission fluid leak. I can't point out where it came from. Maybe from the vent? :scratch:

Then the tranny starts to slip on reverse when cold. After a few days slip on forward - cold too. Checked the fluid level, filled it and gets normal but the leak.

A few days later and get a "trrrr" noise when pull on Reverse. Pull on Park, get back to Reverse and ... works fine. So I think..,

Wife calls for help from traffic: No shift engage. Filled again and OK ... almost! 4x4 lights starts to blinking and get some buzzing noise on deceleration.

Found a thread (thank you guys) talking about a shift fork concern. So, I took the TCase off - and get a lot of tranny fluid on my shoulders. It came from the extension house and I was not expecting to get fluid in there - Am I correct? Is it a extension house seal failure?

Thank's in advance and, please, forgive me for the bad spelling.

BTW: 98 XLT 4x4

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Extension housing should be dry on your pulldown. I'd rebuild the T-Case. I'm 80% sure that is the source of your problems. Check the extension housing drainback holes too.

I had some in the extension housing when I pulled my AWD case, but it didn't drain out on me. I was told (here) that this was normal, and it drains back into the tranny. I'm never low on tranny fluid either, so I guess a little is OK, a lot is not. Question is, if it's not leaking OUT, then where is it going? Can only get so much in the housing.

Thank's. I appreciated that. Please take my apologies in advance if there's some inconvenient or misunderstood words or something sounds rude.
Extension housing should be dry on your pulldown.
Should or must be dry?
I'd rebuild the T-Case. I'm 80% sure that is the source of your problems.
I'm doing this (thank's for your BW 4405 TCase Rebuild Diary)
Check the extension housing drainback holes too.
I'll check this out. What I could expect to find?

I had some in the extension housing when I pulled my AWD case, but it didn't drain out on me. I was told (here) that this was normal, and it drains back into the tranny. I'm never low on tranny fluid either, so I guess a little is OK, a lot is not. Question is, if it's not leaking OUT, then where is it going? Can only get so much in the housing.

In fact, transmission fluid was leaking out. I´ve noticed some drops on the floor every night, but can't point where it came from. Vent or cooling line, I guess. Any clue?

Feedback

Just to give some feedback about my concern:

1. Why I had so much transmission fluid when I took off the extension house?
    Well, I don't have a place with an elevator - I jacked up the truck from front axle. So truck wasn't on right level. :eek:
  • Tranny leaking: Untightening pan bolts was the culprit. I changed the gasket ant tight the bolts on spec's torque and sequence.
  • TCase Disassembled. Find nothing obviously wrong or broken (please take a look at pictures): Fork's guide line pad like new, helical cam seems OK, so the bearings and bushing. Accidentally (Believe me, I'm not a two left hand's guy) broke the thin pin in the edge of the helical cam. Inserted a drill bit in it and I think it's OK.

So, truck is running fine - no more leaks or noises. But I can't figure out what really happened - I mean, why fork didn't return for the right place?

BTW, when was mounting TCase (low torque spec), I noticed some almost loosing bolts - a next time's job.

Thank you all for the support.

Attachments

• Fork.jpg
    Fork.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 772
  • Helical cam.jpg
    Helical cam.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 762
  • Helical cam pin.jpg
    Helical cam pin.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 777
  • TCase view 1.jpg