Transmission fluid | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission fluid

As long as it states “compatible with spec blah blah.blah” I have no reservations, at least with Liqui Moly stuff. And in the 5th gen X I don’t think there’s any super ultra mega proprietary oils, is there? Oil is whatever, there are dozens of compatible specs. Rear diff & PTU are gear oil but nothing really exotic. ATF is maybe a little specific but there are others made. I’ve been using Liqui Moly for several months including towing a small camper with no adverse affects. Coolant & brake fluid are a little more specific but nothing that isn’t available at any parts store on any corner in the country. I’m definitely not trashing dealership specific fluids either, just saying that there are legit options from the aftermarket
I'm not sure if there are relevant differences with other lubricants outside of engine oil. I have heard good and bad with non OEM options. I am too lazy to do a deep dive into the quality of various brands so I default to Motorcraft products in these instances. Some of the reasons I go with certain OEM products is based on advice from people like FordTechMakeuloco and others.

I'm not sure if there are relevant differences with other lubricants outside of engine oil. I have heard good and bad with non OEM options. I am too lazy to do a deep dive into the quality of various brands so I default to Motorcraft products in these instances. Some of the reasons I go with certain OEM products is based on advice from people like FordTechMakeuloco and others.
And there’s nothing wrong with that. I was simply pointing out that there are legit aftermarket options

Back