Transmission issue? Sluggish takeoff? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission issue? Sluggish takeoff?

AGodlyCanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Nelson, BC. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
So I've been driving my Explorer for like a month now. And I've noticed something, maybe it's the colt temperature... But I've noticed if I start from a red light and give it has it'll feel sluggish but then it will suddenly start to go like it nornall should.

I've watched the rpms and they seem fine, it's almost like there's some kind transmission slip but again... Rpms stay steady.

Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry guys, things came up.
(death of a friend) anyway, I was almost wondering about the throttle cable. Someone had mentioned "zip tying" the throttle Cable somewhere. Something like that to make it more responsive. Any ideas?

When was the last time it was tuned up? New plugs, wires, clean the MAF, works wonders.

Did all t hat already, within 2000kms

Sorry guys, things came up.
(death of a friend) anyway, I was almost wondering about the throttle cable. Someone had mentioned "zip tying" the throttle Cable somewhere. Something like that to make it more responsive. Any ideas?

Throttle cable zip-tie mod. I did it with my Explorer many years ago. The cable stretches over time and the slack is at the pedal. Crawl under there and look at the cable where it attaches to the throttle pedal. If the cable is loose, you can take it up with a zip-tie or two around the cable itself. Don't use too many, just enough to take up the slack. Get you back to WOT.

i looked at it while i did a bunch of other things... but... i got confused and left it XD
Got like pictures or anything?

There are a few hundred threads that mention throttle cable mod, but I didn't see the original thread with the pictures. All you do it put a zip tie between the end of the cable and the pedal mount to take up the slack.

so i would put the ziptie on the wire before the springs? like so that it takes up that extra spot?

May be a sticking governor. Not dropping in low gear at a stop. Trying to take off in 2nd gear before going into 1st after a stop. Just a thought.
Brad

May be a sticking governor. Not dropping in low gear at a stop. Trying to take off in 2nd gear before going into 1st after a stop. Just a thought.
Brad

Hmmm, I didn't think a 92 would have a Governor. I'll have to look into it, thank you :)

So I looked at my cables, doesn't look like I need the zip tie mod. However this second cable which I think is for the cruise control, is that supposed to have the same connector as the throttle cable?

Or do they both look normal?

Snapchat-854131644.jpg

Back