Transmission "issues" ? Code P0711 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission "issues" ? Code P0711

kythri

Reaction score
City, State
Lebanon, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Transmission "issues" ? Code P0741

Hi folks! Long time, no see!

I think the Explorer is unhappy with me, what with having confined it to my shop and only pulling it out every month or so.

Probably didn't help that I let it get rear-ended and shoved into another car for $3500 in body work (not at fault, woo!).

So, for the last couple months, I've had a blinking O/D light now and then, occasionally blinking 4HI/4LO lights.

Took it to the dealership to have the thing recalibrated for the bigger tires and the different gears, and had them scan it.

The report that I received today:

Bad torque converter
Bad valve body

Now, I trust this dealership - I truly don't believe that they're trying to scam on me at all. The family has been doing business there for years, it's not their style.

I'm just curious if someone isn't quite sure of what's going on.

When I spoke with the service writer to determine what's going on, I was told the following:

Torque Converter diagnosis is based on computer code P0741 - no other codes were in the system.

The Valve Body diagnosis is based on a pressure test? that was showing slightly off. I'm told that "when things get up to 160 degrees, that indicates a stuck valve in the Valve Body."

What can the experts here tell me about the above diagnosis?

Dealership repair price is $3500-ish. At that price, I'll go buy (5) wrecking-yard transmissions and swap them out as needed.

Update - the code is P0741, they read me the wrong code over the phone.

The exact diagnosis reads:

CS THAT OVERDRIVE LIGHT IS FLASHING
ADVISE

***VERIFIED CONCERN FOUND CODE P0741. PINPOINT CONCERN TO TORQUE CONVERTER, AND ALSO LINE PRESSURE IS OFF ONCE TEMP GETS TO 160 DEGREES. APPEARS TO HAVE CHECK VALVE IN VALVE BODY STICKING.

----

Apparently, I had a P0711 code thrown a year or two ago, which resulted in them replacing the valve body gasket. At the same time, I had them install the demo EPC solenoid that several people on the board participated in. When the new, updated EPC solenoid came out, I had it swapped, so I've still got the "old" new one wrapped up in my shop.

So, questions:

Any recommendations on replacement torque converter? Stick with stock, or go with something "better" ? If it matters, the truck is a '99 with the 4.0 SOHC, 5R55E (obviously), differentials re-geared to 4.56, lifted (4" suspension on 33" tires). Should I look into something that provides a higher stall?

Recommendations on source for a replacement valve body, or someone to rebuild mine? I thought I had read something about someone on the board doing rebuilds, but can't find any "sales thread" about it. Should I look into finding just a "stock" rebuild, or one with a Trans-Go (or some other brand) shift kit installed during the rebuild?

How do I test my EPC solenoid, or have it tested, before I swap it onto the replacement valve body?

Back