Reaction score
City, State
Russell, Ontario (Ottawa area)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 Aviator Reserve 201A
Callsign
VE3
Did you know that the 2011 Explorer has;
1. Aggressive Deceleration Fuel Shut-Off (ADFSO) to maximize fuel efficiency.
Temporarily interrupts fuel delivery and consumption when slowing down while maintaining normal engine operation. The system uses the transmission to keep the engine running at a more efficient level when possible. Normal delivery resumes when vehicle reaches low speed or upon acceleration.
2. Smart Charging Alternator.
A regenerative electrical charging system that charges the battery in place of the alternator anytime the engine is running. It increases alternator output under braking or deceleration by coverting the kinetic energy into electrical energy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like what most hybrids do to maximize fuel economy. Energy leached from braking is sent back to the batteries and fuel cut-off is becoming more common on all new vehicles these days. Each of these is good for at-most 1 mpg and judging from other manufacturers MPG numbers on their V6's I'd say that's being generous.

I'm not a Mopar fan but the Pentastar V6 puts out almost as good MPG as the Ford V6 in the Explorer.

BUMP: This explains to some degree the fuel shutoff system. I don't think I posted the entire explanation. I'm at work now and don't have the info with me. A combination of these 2 features may be what is the cause of this deceleration effect.

Did you know that the 2011 Explorer has;
2. Smart Charging Alternator.
A regenerative electrical charging system that charges the battery in place of the alternator anytime the engine is running. It increases alternator output under braking or deceleration by coverting the kinetic energy into electrical energy.

This (bolded) is extraordinarily confusing (and must be wrong). A hybrid car can do this because it has a large motor generator and manages charging voltage to the high current battery pack quite independantly from the vehicle accessory/system voltage.

The concept can still be true - however the implementation is indeed via the alternator - not in place of it. The only other conversion device that exists on a gas Explorer is the starter motor - and that looks quite normal to me.

The alternator raises its voltage when you are decellerating/braking (either) this creates additional engine loading (and does also very marginall increase battery charging - but you aren't really recovering much energy).

Conversely though you do save energy by running the alternator at a lower voltage much of the rest of the time - that I think is in the end the bigger efficiency here. It does require that the car manage battery charging much more carefully than on older vehicles.

I'm actually impressed with this system based on what I have seen on its operation - even if the above quote does overstate what it does.

Alan

This (bolded) is extraordinarily confusing (and must be wrong). A hybrid car can do this because it has a large motor generator and manages charging voltage to the high current battery pack quite independantly from the vehicle accessory/system voltage.

The concept can still be true - however the implementation is indeed via the alternator - not in place of it. The only other conversion device that exists on a gas Explorer is the starter motor - and that looks quite normal to me.

The alternator raises its voltage when you are decellerating/braking (either) this creates additional engine loading (and does also very marginall increase battery charging - but you aren't really recovering much energy).

Conversely though you do save energy by running the alternator at a lower voltage much of the rest of the time - that I think is in the end the bigger efficiency here. It does require that the car manage battery charging much more carefully than on older vehicles.

I'm actually impressed with this system based on what I have seen on its operation - even if the above quote does overstate what it does.

Alan
Alan, the info was taken from a detailed booklet provided by Ford. It was mainly meant to be for the salesmen to familiarize them with the new generation Explorer.

Peter

Peter yes I assumed it was from a promotional packet of some kind - still the wrong slant to take I think... and technically wrong to boot...

However most people have little clue anyway and I guess traction exists on the concept of regenerative braking from all the Hybrid hype... and we do have that (but in miniscule amounts)...

Alan

Most EFI vehicles shut the fuel injectors off during deaccleration. 99% sure my 1997 does this...

Back