• Register Today It's free!

transmission leak

huntinggunsa

Reaction score
City, State
caledonia, Mississippi
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 xlt,'91 edie,'92 edi
just dropped new moter into my truck (92' 2 wheel drive automatic) and been driving it for a couple days. was on my way bhack from school and the truck started to smoke. looked under and it is leaking transmission fluid from the bell housing and it is leaking alot. the whole underside of the truck is covered. The truck sat for about a year and I put all new fluid back in. the fluid that was coming out is still red and not burnt. the transmission feels great. and one thing I noticed is that it shifts a little bit firmer that my 91'. does this just sound like an input seal?

curtis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You guessed it right my friend .

When you change it maybe change the bushing at the same time .

And check the hub in the flywheel , it is common for it to break .

I just checked fluid level and topped it off. started it up and and there was no leak. I set the parking brake and put it in gear, no leak. did a stall test and fluid came pouring out, does this still sound like the input shaft seal?

thanks curtis

Could be you have a cracked torque converter .

Don't know how common that is though .

Mine leaked like crazey when I was driving under a heavy load when the torque converter wasn't locked up.

you can get a good look at the converter by taking the starter out.
It is common for the front pump seal to fail, especially just aftter having the engine or tranny out. It is possible that the damage was done during the engine installation.

The converter must be fully seated into the pump when the converter is bolted to the flywheel and the engine/tranny are bolted together.

Have the converter tested for excessive hub runout when you take the tranny to get a new brass bushing pressed in. :)
The A4LD runs with a VERY tight tolerence on the coverter hub, you dont want it to leak again. :)

thank you all for the quick replys. is the input seal the same as the front pump seal? thanks again

curtis

Replacing the seal can be done without opening up the tranny.

Replacing the bushing requires removing the pump, and reinstalling the pump requires that you use the special pump alignment tool.

The bushing sould not be replaced unless it shows signs of excessive wear as per this tech bulletin:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/42468823

Here's some info on the flywheel spacer problem:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/42467541

Here's some more info:
http://www.alldatadiy.com/alldata/A.../56351048/34853741/34850750/42063452/42467399

It is up to you as to how far you want to dig into this. :thumbsup:

well took the tranny out and replaced the seal and put it back together.when I went to start it up I heard a grinding noise and it was slow to turn over but it started up. took the tranny back out and it looks like I have another problem, the inner most spline in the torque converter looks like the splines are stripped so now I need a new converter. :mad: anybody have a new torque converter on the shelf they don't need? :rolleyes:

Back