• Register Today It's free!

Transmission line comes unplugged

calebg

Reaction score
City, State
Mobile, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 XLT
Just paid Ford $145 to tell me the transmission line came unplugged and all fluid leaked out which caused my recent transmission failure. However today I parked at a store but had to put in reverse to straighten up. It kicked hard as it sometimes does when I put in reverse. When I came back out of the store about 7 min. later there was a large puddle of transmission fluid underneath. I looked under there and saw the line (by the radiator) dripping. Pushed it back in with ease and was able to drive home unlike last time.

Question: what the heck is making it kick so bad and causes that line to come unplugged so easily.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about the hard shift, other than possibly a programmig issue. But, if I'm not mistaken there ie a locking mechanism on the trans pressure lines similar to the connections on the high pressure fuel lines.

Good info, thank you. I think they click twice(?) here's a pic of mine - look wrong to anybody?
2677-4F2C-A24A-B2A8CEFF53D5-17609-00000617A22E9C66.jpg

Well it's still doing it... Luckily it hasn't all dumped out but every time I look at the lines after parking they are slightly unplugged (if that makes sense) I am able to push them back in I'd say 1/4 of an inch. There always seems to be a drop of transmission fluid on that line.

Can anyone provide suggestions/possibilities as to why it's doing this?
It still kicks hard occasionally - usually in reverse but it did it in drive today.
Really need this solved. I'm terrified everytime I get in it that the transmission is going to go out. Again.

I looked at mine the other day while changing the oil. It has plastic retainers which apparantly keep the lines from disconnecting. Looking at your photos, the retainers are not there.

No I have the retainers. Those photos are from that thread that I inserted the last post. Which is a similar thread to yours.
Yours clips in more flush was the point I was making. I can't tell which is correct.

Three different '07 V8 Sport Trac's with replaced radiators have fittings that leak. Were they aftermarket?

FYI mine's a V6... shouldn't make a difference though. And the reason mine are flush is because I pushed them in. I push them flush before I drive and then when I park again, they are back to not being in all the way. Still hasn't kicked lately or leaked either.
So are mine missing those clips?

Now we are getting somewhere! Must have missed those links from OP when I was digging around earlier... so thanks! Of course he was dealing with coolant leaks at the time but at least they show those clips...
I wonder if they were ever there in the first place when I bought my ST used... had 67,000 miles on it and from what I've read, the radiators are known to crack (which mine did about a year after purchasing) so it's possible they've been missing all along... maybe.

I'm sure there are more people who have had radiators replaced... do any of you NOT have the clips and haven't realized it? or are not having issues?

Did it again today. Truck is at the shop. I told him I was missing those clips... showed him a picture too. We shall see.

Who here has had a replacement radiator put in AND the clips left out? Is it possible to not have the clips and not have these type problems?

Here's an update. My mechanic replaced the radiator (again) with a Ford Motor Company one - previous one was an after market. The lines are MUCH more secure. They have no slack/play in them like they did with the other radiator. No clips though....he said they weren't necessary (?)
So far it's been fine - seems to be shifting smoother in reverse actually than it ever has. This weekend I did a lot of driving and maneuvering (reverse-drive-back to reverse, etc...) and never had a problem.
BUT (there's always a but) there still seems to be some trans fluid underneath the truck. Not sure where it is coming from though....???

Back