Transmission not engaging without revving up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission not engaging without revving up

Ted20

Reaction score
City, State
Anaheim, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer 4.0 2W
I have 2007 Explorer 4.0 2WD 5r55s transmission that works weird recently.

I've got transmission line popped out last month and lots of fluid came out. They fixed the line and filled the fluid. They explained it was a bad trans radiator. But after the repair I noticed the transmission started to hesitated a bit on cold when switched from P position. And then eventually it stopped doing anything at all on cold unless I rev up and probably build some pressure in the transmission. After that I can drive and the transmission works perfectly fine. But if I turn off the engine and wait 5 minutes, then I have to rev up all over again to make transmission work.

Any idea what could it be and if there could be an easy fix?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have 2007 Explorer 4.0 2WD 5r55s transmission that works weird recently.

I've got transmission line popped out last month and lots of fluid came out. They fixed the line and filled the fluid. They explained it was a bad trans radiator. But after the repair I noticed the transmission started to hesitated a bit on cold when switched from P position. And then eventually it stopped doing anything at all on cold unless I rev up and probably build some pressure in the transmission. After that I can drive and the transmission works perfectly fine. But if I turn off the engine and wait 5 minutes, then I have to rev up all over again to make transmission work.

Any idea what could it be and if there could be an easy fix?
Sounds like low fluid

Not low on fluid unfortunately. What else could it be?
Hmm maybe valve body gasket is blown out but honestly not sure until we can get trans fluid temp and fluid pressure

check line pressure could be blown out gasket does M1/2 work? bad pump? no codes?

also should it come to any large issue hiros transmission in gardena on vermont is good place

There are two pressure ports to check, the main line pressure, and the EPC pressure. A low pressure condition could be the result of bad valve body gaskets, loose valve body bolts, a clogged filter, low fluid level or bad O ring seals on the filter drawing air with fluid. Did they use the correct fluid? Incorrect fluid could cause erratic shifts. Scan for codes with a scanner which is capable of reading manufacturer specific codes.

Back