• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Pan Leak

bobter3

Reaction score
City, State
Huttonsville, WV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 XLT w/Sport App PKG
I have a 2021 Explorer XLT w/2.3 AWD, 11k miles. Yesterday, as I was looking under to see what all is involved in getting to the oil filter, I saw that the Trans pan was wet. Not a full on leak but more like slowly weeping. I looked all around the trans pan and cooler but only the pan from the gasket mating surface down was wet from the front of the pan. I checked the pan bolts and they all were tight, barely got a 1/4 turn on them. Any others see this and should I be concerned?
Closest dealer is 45 minutes away and they SUCK. Last experience I had with them resulted in a 3 month fight getting wheels on my Dually replaced cuz they trashed them while putting new tires on. Clean and monitor or take to dealer 1-1/2 hours away?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it the colour of transmission fluid? Is the area around the PTU dry? Since there is no dipstick to check the transmission fluid level, I would go the "Clean and monitor" route for now. Are there any Lincoln dealers closer to you?

Peter

Is it the colour of transmission fluid? Is the area around the PTU dry? Since there is no dipstick to check the transmission fluid level, I would go the "Clean and monitor" route for now. Are there any Lincoln dealers closer to you?

Peter
Hey Peter, yes, it was the color of trans fluid. Everywhere else under it was dry, just the pan was wet. And no, there are not any Lincoln dealers around either. Very rural WV!

Perhaps you can take a picture and send it to the dealer you "trust" and see what they say.

Perhaps you can take a picture and send it to the dealer you "trust" and see what they say.
Thanks Spacey. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with the other dealer either. I moved here a year and 1/2 ago from northern OH and left my dealer relationship of 25+years behind as well. I'll clean and monitor. Making a trip to FL in Feb. so I'll see how bad it is after cleaning. It looks like it would be one of those that they (Ford) would say not dripping, weeping, so 'normal'

Understood. You could always send the photo to the dealer in Ohio and ask for some input, or if you know a good local independent shop you might be able to get an opinion on whether it needs to be dealt with now or it can wait. There was an issue with the transmission coolers leaking, but I believe that was only for early 2020 cars. It seems stupid to me that these transmissions don't have a dipstick or an easily accessible way to add fluid, but my rant is of no use to you.

Here's a goof video on how to check your fluid level. Not anything I would do myself but some might.

Here's a goof video on how to check your fluid level. Not anything I would do myself but some might.

Thanks Dale, that is a goof video! LOL. But seriously, that is good. What a PITA that seems to be. So much for the old easy stuff.

There was an issue with the transmission coolers leaking, but I believe that was only for early 2020 cars.
My 21 had that problem, replaced under warranty at a Lincoln dealer.

Mine was leaking from the cooler itself, not the ports or the lines. Look on the drivers side of the trans, there is a cooler right there. Mine was leaking thru the seams where the casing or shell is crimped together.

I checked it just now and it is dry on the cooler side. Pan is wet on front and passenger side of trans. Up the trans housing is dry

Sounds like the pan gasket to me.

You must be a first time Explorer owner - we've been dealing with this since at least the 4th Gen. My 6R60 on my 07 is worse - it's just a few inches away from one of the cats. And it has to be checked hot. Checking it is the easy part - getting fluid out and getting fluid in is the hard part unless you have a setup for that. I have a manual pump for that but it's still problematic considering I have to do it with the Ex on the ground.
I'm at 136K right now (on the 07) and I've done one pan drop with a fluid and filter replacement and then about 25K later sucked as much fluid out as I could and replaced - came to a little over 6 quarts.
In another 3 or 4 years this part of the forum is going to start seeing a lot of discussion - and hopefully a few how to's - on doing this despite the difficulty.
Brace yourself - unless you lease or plan to trade soon this is something that you will need to do - and it's easier than it looks even though they made it harder than it should be. And 100K isn't the right time to do it - more like 70K.
If you plan to keep your Explorer past 100K miles then you must learn to work with your stubby dipstick (no pun intended).

You must be a first time Explorer owner - we've been dealing with this since at least the 4th Gen. My 6R60 on my 07 is worse - it's just a few inches away from one of the cats. And it has to be checked hot. Checking it is the easy part - getting fluid out and getting fluid in is the hard part unless you have a setup for that. I have a manual pump for that but it's still problematic considering I have to do it with the Ex on the ground.
I'm at 136K right now (on the 07) and I've done one pan drop with a fluid and filter replacement and then about 25K later sucked as much fluid out as I could and replaced - came to a little over 6 quarts.
In another 3 or 4 years this part of the forum is going to start seeing a lot of discussion - and hopefully a few how to's - on doing this despite the difficulty.
Brace yourself - unless you lease or plan to trade soon this is something that you will need to do - and it's easier than it looks even though they made it harder than it should be. And 100K isn't the right time to do it - more like 70K.
If you plan to keep your Explorer past 100K miles then you must learn to work with your stubby dipstick (no pun intended).
Easy there before you start putting me down. I know how to do things such as this. And yes this is my first Explorer. First time they built one that is fun to drive. But at my age and health conditions I just don't do things like this any more. Maybe can't is a better word. Maybe before making a post like this know the reason why a person said what they did. By the way, I did my first valve job at 12 years old. What were you doing at 12?

I had no intention of trying to put you down Dale - just stating that these transmissions have been that way for a long time and it's doable - it's inconvenient - it's a pain in the ass - but doable and necessary unfortunately. From what I saw in the video it might even be easier than my 07. Since I keep cars for a long time then I'm sure I will find out eventually. I'll be 60 this year and yes - it's getting harder every year but I think it's fair to point out that it can be done.

Hey Eddy, sorry if I sounded kind of gruff, I could have posted a nicer reply. My old body just doesn't let me do a lot of things any more so I pay to have it done. Heck I haven't even changed oil in over 20 years, right now I let Ford points pay for them. Bottom line it is pretty stupid of Ford to remove a normal dipstick for the transmission.

If the leak is minimal, I'd wait until the 1st transmission service interval.

I have a 2021 Explorer XLT w/2.3 AWD, 11k miles. Yesterday, as I was looking under to see what all is involved in getting to the oil filter, I saw that the Trans pan was wet. Not a full on leak but more like slowly weeping. I looked all around the trans pan and cooler but only the pan from the gasket mating surface down was wet from the front of the pan. I checked the pan bolts and they all were tight, barely got a 1/4 turn on them. Any others see this and should I be concerned?
Closest dealer is 45 minutes away and they SUCK. Last experience I had with them resulted in a 3 month fight getting wheels on my Dually replaced cuz they trashed them while putting new tires on. Clean and monitor or take to dealer 1-1/2 hours away?
Welcome to the club! Ford trans pans are installed at the factory as bare, unpainted steel which rusts and rots through from the outside. Mine emptied itself all over the garage floor a few years back. Wait, WHAT?! Research showed that a new Ford replacement transmission pan would be made the same way. Bare metal. So I ended up buying a repo part from rockauto that not only came powder coated and protected inside and out, but with a drain plug as well and at LITERALLY half the cost! I installed it myself in an afternoon, no big deal. Just clean the old bolts good and do yourself a favor and replace the trans filter since you're going to be in there anyway. Do NOT be intimidated into paying a dealer to repair this. Do it yourself or have a local young gearhead do it for you but either way, steer clear of an original Ford part because they are caca.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the club! Ford trans pans are installed at the factory as bare, unpainted steel which rusts and rots through from the outside. Mine emptied itself all over the garage floor a few years back. Wait, WHAT?! Research showed that a new Ford replacement transmission pan would be made the same way. Bare metal. So I ended up buying a repo part from rockauto that not only came powder coated and protected inside and out, but with a drain plug as well and at LITERALLY half the cost! I installed it myself in an afternoon, no big deal. Just clean the old bolts good and do yourself a favor and replace the trans filter since you're going to be in there anyway. Do NOT be intimidated into paying a dealer to repair this. Do it yourself or have a local young gearhead do it for you but either way, steer clear of an original Ford part because they are caca.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I see you have a 2001 Sport Trac. Is the pan still the same on the 5th and 6th gen Explorers? Perhaps things changed over the last 20+ years.

Peter

Back