Transmission parts in the pan. Pics inside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission parts in the pan. Pics inside.

TigerT3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Hey guys I need some help here. 1999 Ford Ranger 4.0 4X4 with 285k miles. Transmission has been slipping what seems like 2nd gear for a while and will shift better in the other gears. O/D light flashes from time to time after 15 min of driving. Decided to drop the pan and change the fluid/filter and the valve body gasket to try and remedy the issue. When I dropped the pan I had three pieces laying there. Pics to follow. Not sure what it is? I tried google and it appears maybe part of the parking pawl? Any input would be great. Not a newby to working on cars but a Ford and transmission internals newby. Thanks guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

5329A18E-32BD-40ED-A830-A5A9D8717189.jpeg

So it was driving up until you dropped the pan? Was it holding in park?
This may be better answered in the transmission section. I will move it if you want me to, or it’s fine left here.
Do you know which trans your Ranger has? It would be worth mentioning.

Yes it was driving and holding park. Was slipping when I bought it and I changed the selector on the outside of the transmission and drove great for about a month and I parked it for two weeks and started slipping again. It has been driving like that for the last year. I use it primarily as a hunting/farm truck so have been putting off fixing it. Feel free to move it for me if you think I will get more views there. It’s a 5R55E I believe. Thanks man.

The bottom two pieces look like band struts, and the piece on top would be the part of the band that the strut sits in.
This would normally indicate a broken band, which would mean that either your intermediate band and possibly servo (2nd & 4th gear) or OD band and possibly servo (3rd and 5th gear) has completely failed.

The bottom two pieces look like band struts, and the piece on top would be the part of the band that the strut sits in.
This would normally indicate a broken band, which would mean that either your intermediate band and possibly servo (2nd & 4th gear) or OD band and possibly servo (3rd and 5th gear) has completely failed.

Thanks. That’s what I was thinking but was hoping wasn’t the case. So I should probably start looking for one at a junkyard or something to pull out and put in?

Definitely band parts. I'd look for another transmission even though it's a 20$ in broken parts. If you go into it there's a bunch you should replace while your there and it will surpass $500 in parts pretty quickly if you do it right.

When I had the valve body off I could see through a rectangular hole on the driver side where the skinny piece appeared to have been attached by the three tack welds. That’s what led me to believe it was the parking pawl based off my google search. Don’t know if that helps any.

When I had the valve body off I could see through a rectangular hole on the driver side where the skinny piece appeared to have been attached by the three tack welds. That’s what led me to believe it was the parking pawl based off my google search. Don’t know if that helps any.
That’s part of a band.
80932BA1-457A-489B-B438-96B25C7447A4.jpeg

Back