Transmission problem?? HELP!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem?? HELP!!

Reaction score
City, State
somewhere
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 ford exploder
ok, my moms 93 ford explorer 4X4 is messed up, last night it started to shudder and shake when she was accelerating, and it seemed to not want to shift or anything, it would just rev really high. we parked it and we could go in reverse just fine, but then we couldnt go forward or anything and we tried all gears. it just started to roll backward when in Drive, we asked autozone about the transmission fluid, and we put some in, and it seemed to be better for about a couple minutes, then it started to act up again, should we put more transmission fluid in the car? im sick of this car, i hope its not the transmission.. o and her radiator fluid was some kind of orange brownish color.. does she need a radiator flush or something? i hope someone can help me with this car..

Can you engage any shift ?...

i have had my fair share with the infamouse A4LD! not a strong tranny, i went thru 2 of em, and a manual(manual was my fault intirely) and my buddy and i are right now swaping his outa his explorer. honestly it sounds like the tranny is shot, u can try the loucus tranny treatment, or however u spell it, it worked for a good while in my buddys, but then got stuck in first, popped off the pan and found large pieces of metel in it, not a good sign haha. i would say go manual (M5OD) or the mitsubishi manual tranny that is found in older model rangers. thats if u swap em out, i wouldnt junk it cause the explorer is a great vehicle other than its tranny.
i think the 95-96 models came with a differant tranny, but u have to replace wire harnests so it will work right, just a question, is it 4x4 or 2wd? incase u junk it i might want something..........
hope i helped.....

Back