• Register Today It's free!

transmission problem

pinto21632

Reaction score
City, State
redbud,illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 explorer
i have a 95 ford explorer xlt 4 door with ele overdrive and 4x4 here is my trouble when i bought i could not put in to drive and just go if i put it in 1-D it will not move it will try to go but dont go it makes a clicking sound i have to put it 2nd to take off when i get put to about 25-30 i can shift it in to drive and go but every time i stop at a light or stop sign i have shift it down to 2nd to take off again im think the 1st gear is gone but not sure i have made 7 hour trips with it has been like that for over a year is there a easy fix for a back yard mec or do i have to get a new transmission

Hi. I'm having the same problem in my '96 EB. I'm 90% sure it's soleniod problems. Did you pull codes ? If so' they should be P0743, 750,755,& 760. Then it's an electrical problem. Not hard to repair. Hope someone can confirm this for us. Good luck, man.

My first was toast when mine was doing that... I put a used trans. in... pull out the dipstick and sniff the end of it to tell if there is a burnt smell... When I put it into first it would act as if it was in neutral... but sometimes it would roll me forwards ever so slightly... that's how I knew it was slipping...

Back