john cris

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeport, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer XLT
Hey
I’ve got an 03’ explorer xlt 4.0 4x4
Had the transmission rebuilt about 50k ago. Vehicle has 190k on it. The transmission is already showing signs of needing replacement again. I think it’s the 5r55w or s. The closed system one without a dip stick.
Is there a suitable replacement transmission that will just bolt up, something other than the original? Something more durable? Probably not worth doing with almost 200k on the clock but thought I’d ask anyway.
Any ideas?
The torque converter tends to drain back and leads to the transmission slipping until oil temp comes up. At least that’s what it seems like.
and how the heck can a torque converter drain back anyway.
experienced opinions appreciated
Probably time for a new rig
Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey
I’ve got an 03’ explorer xlt 4.0 4x4
Had the transmission rebuilt about 50k ago. Vehicle has 190k on it. The transmission is already showing signs of needing replacement again. I think it’s the 5r55w or s. The closed system one without a dip stick.
Is there a suitable replacement transmission that will just bolt up, something other than the original? Something more durable? Probably not worth doing with almost 200k on the clock but thought I’d ask anyway.
Any ideas?
The torque converter tends to drain back and leads to the transmission slipping until oil temp comes up. At least that’s what it seems like.
and how the heck can a torque converter drain back anyway.
experienced opinions appreciated
Probably time for a new rig
Thanks

How was the transmission rebuilt 50k miles ago? Was a new TC installed?

How was the transmission rebuilt 50k miles ago? Was a new TC installed?
I was told the torque converter was rebuilt when trans was done. I'm not sure how that's even possible. The converter doesn't look like it can be disassembled. So a new one should have been installed. I'd actually consider just replacing the converter my self but I'm an older guy so that is probably more work than I want to take on. If I knew for sure that it would correct this problem I might just do it. A new converter shouldn't cost that much. I think I'll talk to a local trans shop and get their take on it

Unfortunately there was never a good automatic transmission option for the v6s. They were Anemic for decades.

Thanks for the video. Didn’t realize it was such a process I’d guess the repair shop just put a rebuilt converter in there. And maybe just tossed the old one If I decide to replace this converter, where is a good place to get one
Summit?

Back