• Register Today It's free!

transmission swap

72Fins1

Reaction score
City, State
Nebraska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer Eddie
I hope I'm not posting this if somebody has made a thread about this before but I have a 94 Explorer 4x4 that dropped the a4ld transmission. I'm wanting to revive it at some point but I would like to ditch the a4ld and 4.0 engine. I have a rebuilt C6 4x4 transmission with transfer case from a 88-96 F series truck. Anyways my question is what would I have to do to get the C6 4x4 transmission and transfer case to fit and can I make it fit without having to throw out the factory seats console and dash panel? If anybody has any information or ideas I can try that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:sawzall:

The C6 is huge it notta gonna fit without some serious sawzall action!

:sawzall:

The C6 is huge it notta gonna fit without some serious sawzall action!
Okay well my main reason is because I have my two trailers pictured here.
trailers%20pic_zpsrqtf7ulc.png

The flatbed I have no issue using with our current 91 Explorer that has a rebuilt transmission but my truck trailer is what I use for scrap metal loads and other heavy loads where it's full. It has a six spring heavy duty leaf pack and a one ton 14 bolt axle and is a 3/4 ton frame so it's not exactly light even when it's empty. I'm just afraid that the a4ld wouldn't be able to take a lot of heavy loads without going out completely. I usually stay under two tons with a lot of times not even coming close to that much weight so am I wrong about the a4ld being able to hold up this kind of use or not? If anybody has any info about this that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Back