1994 4x4 Engine Transmission swap ideas | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4x4 Engine Transmission swap ideas

Chances are that if the gaskets are gone so are the heads.

You would have to take them to a machine shop to get magnafluxed to determine if they are cracked and then rebuild costs. cheaper, easier, faster, to just bag em and get the new ones.

Do some more research on this forum on how to revitalize the a4ld, do the heads and you'll be drive'n the Ex for a long time.

I second the motion :D :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So from the sound of things I need to decide if I want to put 1k into a 500.00 Explorer or just let it go to the scraper. 1500.00 for a nice body nice interior 94 explorer with new heads and gaskets doesn't really sound like a bad idea.

I really appreciate all of you guys help, opinions and expertise.

That's what we're here for! :)

:thumbsup: A man with a plan! :thumbsup:

Add another Ex'er to the fold,,,,

I have done a bunch of research on the A4ld on this site. The rebuild diary's and the frankentranny post. Hopefully the one in it has some good miles left in it and I can get another to rebuild proper in the mean time.

It's funny I found this explorer looking for a rear end for a hot rod project. After looking at it and how nice it is. I didn't want to tear it apart.

Don't be surprised if you can still see the factory honing marks in the cylinders with a very minimal ring gland.

Bottom ends on these engines are very stout.

I have done a bunch of research on the A4ld on this site. The rebuild diary's and the frankentranny post. Hopefully the one in it has some good miles left in it and I can get another to rebuild proper in the mean time.

I highly recommend the Transgo A4LD Jr. shift correction kit. That and a couple choice Sonnax upgrades will extend the life of your A4LD and fix a lot of the common shift issues. The shift correction kit can be installed by removing the valve body - no need to remove the trans from the truck. The only upgrade that should require removal of anything is the governor weight upgrade, which is only necessary if you have 1-2 cold shift issues, and requires removal of the transfer case (easy) if you have a 4wd model.

Additionally, adding an inexpensive Hayden trans fluid cooler inline with the stock one will help a lot. The stock trans cooling system is overwhelmed by stop and go traffic, even without towing or hauling anything.

Bottom ends on these engines are very stout.

And they respond well to BOOST :burnout:

Going to have to get off my butt and install that Paxton sometime this year...

trans tune up

I second arco's recommendations. :thumbsup:

The governor however can be cleaned up easily on the 4x4's without drop'n the trans because the tail housing is so large.

Check it out,,,

Here's the governor: The "donut" on the right is the fly weight, on the left is the journal that it slides on. It gets gummed up over time and so the weight sticks especially when cold. (cold weather makes it worse)
gov2_zpseb17725f.jpg

Here is the location of the governor: (this image shows the 2wd tail housing)
A4LDClutchandband1_zps9831d574.jpg

As you can see in this image the 4x4 tail housing has a big opening where you can simply reach in there with the transfer off and give it a brake cleaner bath and a shot of clean ATF for pre-lube. You can also "excersize" it up and down gently with a skinny flat head screwdriver to check that it moves freely. (careful not to scratch the journal)
IMG_0393web_zps4038cd6d.jpg

Repair cost $3.99 for brake cleaner.

This problem is so common it is virtually guaranteed.

It is caused by deterioration of the "wavy washer" (thrust washer) between the gov. and the rear sprag. (contamination) Good news is after the washer is "run-in" no more contaminates. So it is a one time visit to do the clean up and it will be done sticking for the remainder of the normal life of the trans.

All these tune up's as mentioned by arco777 will run ya about $150 bucks with NO transmission removal. Nice! :D

And of course fresh ATF and filter. (Mercon V only!)

NO! those are early castings. 90TM

94'S use casting 93TM-AA

You are looking for aftermarket NEW heads not rebuilds.

The eBay ad could have fooled me. It does say they are new aftermarket heads though. I'm not sure of the differences between castings and years. Perhaps differences due to EGR or something?

Anyways, years ago when I bought my new heads I bought from NAPA. Not sure if it was this brand or not. If those heads they sell are truly new aftermarket then they should be a good bet.

At the time it was hard for me to stomach the cost of new heads at first, but in the end I am so glad I did. Back then I was not thinking how I had a solid running Explorer for the cost of heads plus labor (plus $6, haha)

Don't forget to get the new head bolts,,,,they are "torque-to-yield" one time use bolts.

This is true! That said, some members have had success re-using the original bolts, after careful inspection. Personally if I were to spend the money on heads and gaskets, I would "do it once do it right" and install new bolts. I would not recommend cheaping out on the bolts.

Ooooops double post!

:( I'm atarded

I just don't think you are going to get NEW heads on eBay for less than NAPA price.

Certainly not the warranty.

Um??????

Where did kckershovel go?

Hope he reads this before he buys those heads.

I'm here wife had my attention. Those are not the only ones they are selling. What had me was the new aftermarket casting in the listing. I'm all for getting what I pay for and spending more for good products.

I am also all for getting the same good product at a lesser mark up if I can.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAIR-NEW-FO...TS-BOLTS-/150991668888?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

That is a listing with bolts.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-RA...LTS-LATE-/151072611455?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

This is the late style with bolts. Both show a 12MO warranty as well. I was just hoping someone on here had bought, seen, used these "New Castings" from Odessa on ebay.

Actually I was wrong. Since these are listed as new heads they show a 2 year warranty. Not trying to knock Napa but if these are the same heads they are selling for almost double the price..... Well you know.

Looks good to me but I'm skeptical of the head bolts they include, they look like Chinese/Taiwan junk by the box (could be wrong). I would order my bolts separate, and install Fel-Pro perma-dry plus valve cover gaskets. Those gaskets work far better than the cork ones, and don't let your valve covers distort if you overtighten the bolts. Same story for the head gasket itself, might as well use a good name brand one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

$515.oo is for 1, "one" head.... Not a pair... NAPA is $408.00 per head.

Notice the quantity = 1

The picture shows two views of the same head, top and bottom.

And where do you go to get warranty service.?

On this one I really think you should buy local,,face-to face.

Individual components I buy all the time from eBay sellers, but for complex assemblies I go local.

You've been warned!

Back