1994 4x4 Engine Transmission swap ideas | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1994 4x4 Engine Transmission swap ideas

The cam is in the block not the heads. I will have the same valve lift with any head I install. If I put 90tm heads on the valve would not hit the piston.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Some times the posts get a little out of order.

We are typing at the same time so my answer to your question came after I had posted another statement.

It happens a lot and sometimes we get lost in the banter.

Sometimes I get so lost I have to go back and reread the entire conversation.

It's just a matter of who posts first. It's chronological, so it doesn't always follow the flow of a real conversation. You'll get used to it after a while.

It gets real crazy when there are 5 or 6 people going on the same thread which often brakes down into a fight. Misunderstood comment and the like.

Sorry for the confusion.

I noticed that as well. No worries. Well until you read my disagreement on the 90tm head I'll guess. Still no worries on my end and not trying to be a know it all smart ass or anything.

So after some more searching it seems Engine Quest are the only ones that have all the different head styles. Everyone else has a generic aftermarket 90tm/93tm head and a 95-2001 head that is a 98tm head.

Why do you now want to put the wrong heads on it?

If you read some of the threads on these kind of modifications you will see that there is a lot to consider including weather or not such a change can be adjusted for by the PCM or if custom flash to computer is needed.

You will be able to reuse your rocker assemblies, the lower intake will fit, the computer will run it correctly, the a/c and power steering brackets will fit, valve covers will fit, exhaust manifolds will fit.

These are the reasons for "exact fit" that I am considering.

I am going to have to call it quits on this thread.

My recommendation and arco777's way back in the beginning was to save the 4.0l
and to leave it in its' "stock" form.

I've given you all the info I have to meet that goal.

I never said I wanted to put the wrong heads on it. I just wanted to share what I have found.

That is

Of the after market castings there are only 2 (unless they are EngineQuest castings)
and that is early 90tm style and late 98tm style.

I am curious what aftermarket casting is Napa is selling as a 93TM???

I only bring this up as I have been told you need to get the aftermarket new castings and not the re-manufactured Ford heads.

So I will ask again What casting is Napa selling as a 93TM??

Also as far as interference vs non interference engines go it has nothing to do with valve reliefs or dished pistons. Your piston to valve clearance needs to be checked with performance cams or head swaps. Interference and non interference is used to describe a timing chain failure and weather or not a piston will hit a valve if that were to occur.

Agreed, I just didn't want to speak up :shifty_ey

I never said I wanted to put the wrong heads on it. I just wanted to share what I have found.

That is

Of the after market castings there are only 2 (unless they are EngineQuest castings)
and that is early 90tm style and late 98tm style.

I am curious what aftermarket casting is Napa is selling as a 93TM???

I only bring this up as I have been told you need to get the aftermarket new castings and not the re-manufactured Ford heads.

So I will ask again What casting is Napa selling as a 93TM??

93TM would be the correct head for your application. It would be an aftermarket replacement for that head design.

I understand that. I just don't see any aftermarket 93TM head castings made by anyone other than EQ. If Napa is selling the EQ heads then that makes sense on the price however I don't think they are.

Other wise everyone else is selling early style that they say will work from 90-94 covering both the 90TM and the 93TM or the late style that covers 95-2001 covering the 95TM 97TM and 98TM but they are actually 98TM style.

Back