tricky clicky

PRB

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
2000 Explorer, XLT, 4.0 SOHC, 4x4

Turning the steering wheel to the left, from center position, with the vehicle standing still, you can hear a clicking sound in the cab, repeating about 10 times until the wheel reaches full left lock position. Going back to center, no clicking sound. Outside the car, with my beautiful assistant turning the steering wheel, I put my hand on the driver side tie rod, and I can feel a "catch" with each click. Passenger side tie rod feels fine during same proceedure.

Bad Rack and Pinion, or Ball joints? If ball joints, which one is more likely to be the cause, upper or lower?

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

You could test the ball joints by lifting the front of the vehicle off the ground and try to shake the tire a little.
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkHeDQomX0k

And I have also had this clicking sound on my vehicle and have figured it would be because of the sway bar bushings off the frame. Haven't got around to replacing mine to see if it would fix the problem, but many others have also had this problem and I am pretty sure the bushings would fix it.

You could test the ball joints by lifting the front of the vehicle off the ground and try to shake the tire a little.
example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkHeDQomX0k

And I have also had this clicking sound on my vehicle and have figured it would be because of the sway bar bushings off the frame. Haven't got around to replacing mine to see if it would fix the problem, but many others have also had this problem and I am pretty sure the bushings would fix it.
Thanks for the reply and the link to the video.

More than likely the lower ball joints.

However, if you're going to do them, might as well do them all.
And if money isn't an issue, I highly recommend Moog suspension components.. Life time warranty, grease-able, and high quality.

Back