• Register Today It's free!

Troublesome CEL Light

jpacetti

Reaction score
City, State
Winder, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
I have a 95 XLT with a Check Engine Light that comes on and goes off when it wants to. I tried hooking up up my code reader to the OBDII connector which gets power and shows its connected. But when I try to download any codes it just gives me an interface error and tells me to make sure the car is switched to on. I have the same problem if I try to clear the code.

My next thing I will do is to ring out the wiring between the ECM and the reader connector. It has been like this ever since I changed out a fuel injector. But the light remains intermittant and it runs great.

Has anyone had a similar problem with their ECM? Or any other ideas about what to check? Btw I did go back and recheck my injector installation and all the connectors I could shoot some electrical cleaner through.

Aren't 95's OBD1? My old 95X had the OBDII connector inside but it was only part of the transistion to OBDII and the connector was basically a dummy. The codes had to be read from the OBD1 connector under the hood on the driver's side fender next to the master cylinder.

Hope this helps

EE

Ernie, you are exactly right. You can't pull codes from the ALDL connector. That's not what it's there for. You need to connect to the connector on the driver's fenderwell. It's a trapezoid looking affair with a separate wire for the fuel pump relay. Your OBDII reader will not work.

Thanks for all your help. I never knew where the OBDII jack was. I figured due to the other connector I had OBDII. I never would have found it due to the fact it was covered. Well I pulled codes 377 and 376 both for the EGR. Going to get a new solenoid tommorow. Glad I found this forrum.

Back