TRS HID or Cool Bulbs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TRS HID or Cool Bulbs

xbreaker

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
Im looking into swapping out the head light and fog lights and wanted to get input from people here about these two brands I was thinking of. Im looking for something I can just plug into the original harness with out cutting wires and I know the shops around here want to charge like 500$ for two so I figure I would do it myself. The only thing is I use to have after market HIDs on my other cars and the ballast would go quick, probably cause it had DRL and every time the car would start it would always flicker turning on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently put the Cool Bulbs kits in both Headlights and Fog lights. It was all plug and play. On the fog lights the polarity was backwards and I just had to reverse the two wires in the plug. The lighting is very consistent and has a nice clean line on the upper end of the light. I adjusted my fogs all the way up. Very pleased. I do not run mine in auto mode as I want to control when they go on and off. You get a dummy buzzer reminding you they are on if you forget. Oh...and you have brights with their kit and they are ridiculously bright.

You have any pics add where did you end up putting the ballasts. I'm most likely going none auto mode more I think of it. What do you mean also by turning the fog lights up?

I don't have any pics. Mounted the ballast on the lower facia area that is parallel to the ground.

Regarding "turning the fog lights up". on the back side of the housing there is an adjustment. Mine were pointed too low to the ground. I parked my car in front of a wall at night, turned off the headlights, and adjusted the fog lights upward till I was comfortable with the light.

ah awesome, you have any problem of the fog lights scattering. with it pointed all the way up and blinding people

You can't adjust them that high. No blinding issues until I flip my brights on

My Sport finally made it to the dealer this Wed and I installed my Coolbulbs kit tonight. It worked flawlessly. Everything plugged right in and kicked on immediately even when using auto headlamps. I did the both the headlights and fogs in 6000k and am more than happy with the results, now instead of feeling the headlights are inadequate, I'm lighting up the night! Andrew at Coolblulbs was very helpful and the shipping was immediate. I can highly recommend Coolbulbs.com.

I've been running the Coolbulbs kit in my ex for a few months now and no issues.
I run in auto all the time and never have seen a problem.

I don't think I have a pic of the ballast but if you get the coolbulbs kit, it comes with a slim ballast and I mounted mine just behind the headlights, near the edge of where the hood comes down.
There's some black plastic trim with a small flat area on both driver and passenger sides. Worked great.

Thanks guys! Im going to end up getting the cool bulbs. Just figuring out on which color to get. Is there a guy you mention to get a discount? I think I remember reading it somewhere on the forums that if you mention some one you do

What size are our headlights in a 2014 Explorer Sport - 9005? Just confirming.

Thanks.

Yep. You need 9005 for the headlights and H11 for the fogs.

Thanks very much! That is what I had thought.

Back