• Register Today It's free!

truck gets stuck in 4 lo

spitfiresk822

Reaction score
City, State
Rockville, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Hey everybody, I decided to finally look into fixing my truck's 4 wheel drive problem. Its done it since I got it, but just now realized I should probably fix it.
I'm sure there's another thread on this, but I sure as hell can't find it, so here we go.
Auto 4wd has never worked, which is fine with me because it saves me time from doing the brown wire mod.
4 hi works fine, go in and out smoothly, with the occasional thud.
4 lo is where the problem is, if I put it in neutral, it takes a minute to go into 4 lo, and when it does, it wont come out. The only way to get it out is to turn the truck off and back on. Isn't too big of a problem, but I'm always worried I'm gonna turn it back on and its still in 4 lo. Does anybody know if this is the shift motor or the module thing bolted to the side?
Thanks
Also if you feel like helping me fix more than one of my problems,:thumbsup: check out http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2249370#post2249370 to read about my scary knock.
Thanks again,
Joey

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at it this way: will you ever need 4LO? Because if you dont, then I wouldnt worry about it because, based on what others have experienced, using 4LO only leads to problems. You're lucky you can get it out of 4LO by disconnecting the battery - others have not been as fortunate and have had to drop quite a bit of green ($$) to replace the transfer case. So my opion: stay out of 4LO before it leads to more problems.

Well the way 4 lo works with me, is I never want to have to use it. But I've been stuck on a mountain in west virginia and without 4lo I would have died of thirst hiking 10 miles down the mountain to civilization, then I'd have to explain to Jefro why I was on his mountain. Also when someone starts talkin crap about my v6, 4 lo will drag there ass around town, going slow that is.
Bottom line is I try not to use 4lo, but it has saved my ass several times, and if it doesn't come out of 4lo after it saves me, I'm gonna be stuck again. To me it's worth getting it fixed if it's just the module or the shift motor.

using 4LO only leads to problems

Using 4LO leads to fame and fortune!! IZwack why you lyin'??

And really though, I have never heard of this problem...care to explain?

And really though, I have never heard of this problem...care to explain?
If you're asking me - there are threads where the vehicles would not come out of 4LO and the drivers were forced to drive home in LO range - which probably isn't as fun as it sounds.

Back