Trying to figure out what to do next... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to figure out what to do next...

cgl102770

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer
I haven't taken good care of my car the last few years and am paying the price. I'm seeking advice so I can do the right thing from now on.

It's a 2003 Ford Explorer Sport with 132,000 miles. At 124,000 it broke down, with smoke coming out of the hood. Firestone replaced the thermostat & did a coolant flush.

A few thousand miles later, the Check Engine light came on, and around that time transmission fluid started leaking onto the driveway. I waited a few more thousand miles to take it in (my mistake, lesson learned).

The diagnostic code was "Torque Converter" and I got quotes from 2 places, I went with the $2800 rebuild from Speedy Transmission. They said that whoever replaced the thermostat (Firestone) didn't flush the transmission, which was why the car was running hot, so I assumed Speedy would flush it.

I got the car back and though the check engine light was off, soon after it was running hot again. I put some antifreeze in and that got it back to normal, however, Now I'm at 132,000, and have only put about 400 miles on since the rebuild, and the "Service Engine Soon" light is on. Before it was leaking a little oil, but now its leaking more, though not running low on oil yet. The hood is also smoking a little, and white smokes coming out of the tailpipe, so I've parked it.

These symptoms could mean a blown head gasket, which would be another $1500. I feel like I'm just paying people to do bad work and not fix my car. It makes me wonder if it even needed the transmission work or not. I guess I did since two different places showed a Torque Converter code. However, why didn't the transmission place notice the other problems?

And now I don't know where to take it, since I'm not sure what the problem is and don't trust either repair place. Any insight or advice is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take it to the dealer. Not sure where you are, but if there is a relatable dealer nearby, have them look at it.

I went with the $2800 rebuild from Speedy Transmission. They said that whoever replaced the thermostat (Firestone) didn't flush the transmission, which was why the car was running hot, so I assumed Speedy would flush it.
:scratch: If Speedy Transmission "actually" said that run away. No correlation whatsoever between overheating and
transmission issues. Agree with Number4, find a reputable dealer or independent garage even if it's long distance.

I don't trust firestone anymore, last time I went there for new tires on my mustang they just skipped the free wheel alignment inspection which is part of the package. When I asked the gal what the result of the wheel alignment, she said it was fine... totally scam because I saw the car roll out of the lift and into the parking lot after the installation.. never trust those guys..

same thing with TiresPlus, they aligned my rear toe links on my LS but they didn't remove the boot clips, the rubber boots were twisted after the alignment. I complained to the front desk guy and showed him the picture, he got no answers from that and was trying to correct me for what it's called (tryng to tell me I'm a noob)

Thank you for the replies. Speedy definitely said that, though they did not say that's why the Torque Converter code came up. Another repair place drew the same code so I think that part's legit. I guess I will take it to Cherokee Ford in Woodstock, Ga and hope for the best... not going to put a whole lot more money into it though.

Thank you for the replies. Speedy definitely said that, though they did not say that's why the Torque Converter code came up. Another repair place drew the same code so I think that part's legit. I guess I will take it to Cherokee Ford in Woodstock, Ga and hope for the best... not going to put a whole lot more money into it though.

That dealer is pretty cool. I went there and was inquiring about timing tools/procedures on my '04 4.6. The shop manager was more than happy to print the info out for me. He said he appreciated people working on there own cars when they are able too and doesn't mind providing info.

They've brought techs out to answer other questions I've had.

They've never actually worked on any of my cars though....

Just one more question... what are the options if I have it towed to the dealer for repairs and the fix is more than I think the car is worth? Just have it towed to a junkyard?

That's a question only you can answer. How much for another vehicle? What problems will it have? You might spend more than it's worth but less than what you'd pay for something else.

Most repairs at this point are reaching the point of equaling your vehicles value. A trans or engine would easily cost more than its current value.

You could buy a new car, with up to a $400/month payment or another used car that could just as likely need a 2-3500k repair within a year.

As long as my vehicles bodies are in good shape, I'd rather repair them.

Back