Trying to get Remote Keyless Entry on my 2017 PIU | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to get Remote Keyless Entry on my 2017 PIU

Reaction score
City, State
Burbank
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 FPIU
Hey everyone,
I just took my 2017 FPIU to the dealer to try to program a set of keys since my car only came with three key blades with no remote. I bought a set of keys from Amazon that didn't have the 48 digit code, so I figured they wouldn't be able to program those. Sidenote it was interesting when I found out there's no chip and my freshly cut unprogrammed keys were able to start the car. I told them I'd buy a key from them directly as long as they can program it. I'm looking for keyless and remote start. I also have a 3 button fob (gb6t-15k601-fa) that they said they were unable to program.

On the notes they stated "Attempted to program factory P.A.T.S. key but un-successful. No module available. No communication. Police version not equipped."

Anyone have ideas on how I can get RKE on my car, preferably remote start aswell without going aftermarket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought fob GB5Z-15K601-C from the dealer, and they quickly programmed them to the Utility with IDS on my '16. They work as expected. These are separate fobs from the keys that only lock-unlock the doors and allow the tail gate to open.

Remote start needs an exterior unit to turn it on. I am using a Fortin EvoAll that starts the truck with 3 lock presses on the Ford fob. 12voltsolutions also sells a unit. You can also buy a Ford accessory module and have it set up, but the aftermarket units are much less costly and easy to install.

And yes..the Utilities do not have PATS, they use old school "fleet" keys that have no chip. It's done so that departments can easily and cheaply replace a key.

I purchased the key fob listed as "GB5Z-15K601-C" and looking at all the photos on different Ford websites, it's showing the part number on the back of the fob as GB5T-15K601-FA. Is your the same or does it say GB5Z-15K601-C on your fob?

Thank you for mentioning the Fortin EvoAll, that seems like a pretty good solution too. I just don't want a extra remote hanging off my keychain.

I purchased the key fob listed as "GB5Z-15K601-C" and looking at all the photos on different Ford websites, it's showing the part number on the back of the fob as GB5T-15K601-FA. Is your the same or does it say GB5Z-15K601-C on your fob?

Thank you for mentioning the Fortin EvoAll, that seems like a pretty good solution too. I just don't want a extra remote hanging off my keychain.
Yes, mine have the same number as yours on the back. I just kept a record of what I ordered.

With the EvoAll, you press the lock button on the Ford fob three times for remote start. So, no extra fobs. I bought my EvoAll kit with harness from a eBay vendor, and it was pre-programmed. I installed the valet switch under the dash and hooked up the parking lights. Simple hook up with the OBD2 port and a couple wires. If you have questions, just say the word.

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I've had the same issue with my dealer. I went to my friends shop and used his MATCO computer. I am able to find the keyless entry model in mine. There is a 99% chance your dealer is too lazy to read up on it. The procedure is as follows.

"
To program 2016/7 RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).

Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.

The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.

Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.

The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.

Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.

Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.

Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters. "

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

I've had the same issue with my dealer. I went to my friends shop and used his MATCO computer. I am able to find the keyless entry model in mine. There is a 99% chance your dealer is too lazy to read up on it. The procedure is as follows.

"
To program 2016/7 RKE fobs, use IDS Version 96.03 or later and the VCM-II (VCM-I won’t work).

Select ‘Toolbox’ then ‘Body’, then ‘Security’, and finally ‘Remote Keyless Entry’.

The 48 character string, which is needed for programming, is located on the inside of the fob. Follow the on-screen prompts to complete RKE programming.

Enter’999999′ for the device serial # and follow the 48-character string method.

The 48 character string is located on the label inside the remote.

Once the 48 characters are entered, click on the check tick.

Even though an error screen appears, the remote should be programmed.

Verify by pressing a button. If not, check for the correct 48 characters. "
Can this be done with FORScan?
I had to pay $150.00 at Ford for turning off the blackout so I would have interior lights. Never again unless I have to.

Can this be done with FORScan?
I had to pay $150.00 at Ford for turning off the blackout so I would have interior lights. Never again unless I have to.
Unfortunately no. You need a vcm 2 module. If you buy one you can get an IDS 24 hr subscription for about $50.
You can disable blackout mode etc in Forscan

Unfortunately no. You need a vcm 2 module. If you buy one you can get an IDS 24 hr subscription for about $50.
It would probably take me 24 days to figure IDS out!

It’s not that hard. If you can use FORSCAN you can use IDS
I haven't gotten to the point of getting FORScan yet! To many things to do first!
Can't do much until this weather breaks & I can find a place to get her inside!

Unless I'm missing something, all I did was buy a USB to OBD2 cable and install ForSCAN and I was able to enable remote locks, remote start, disable dark mode, enable DRL's and more. Then I just had to buy a key on Amazon for $25 and program the remote and I had remote start and locks, it was stupid simple if you're at all computer literate.

Police cars don't have PATS, so any key will start it, but you can still program the remote portion separately and it works just like a normal explorer, you'd never know the difference.

Do you have any recommendations on where to buy a VCM 2 module? I'm seeing a wide range of prices ($100 to $1500) when googling and don't want to get scammed.

Also waiting to see what others have picked up!

Speaking only for 2016 utility and later...you cannot add keyless entry/program remotes with Forscan. Must be done with IDS.

We bought the adapter that Forscan recommends on their site. I helped a friend with a '15 Police Sedan enable Aux input, keyless entry, auto headlights....

In my '16 utility, I've enabled the remote start options in the IPC (to work with the remote start I installed), enabled perimeter alarm, auto headlights, park light flash on lock/unlock, horn honk on second lock press, intelligent all wheel drive display...

Speaking only for 2016 utility and later...you cannot add keyless entry/program remotes with Forscan. Must be done with IDS.

We bought the adapter that Forscan recommends on their site. I helped a friend with a '15 Police Sedan enable Aux input, keyless entry, auto headlights....

In my '16 utility, I've enabled the remote start options in the IPC (to work with the remote start I installed), enabled perimeter alarm, auto headlights, park light flash on lock/unlock, horn honk on second lock press, intelligent all wheel drive display...
Wow! I wish you lived close by to see this!

Unless I'm missing something, all I did was buy a USB to OBD2 cable and install ForSCAN and I was able to enable remote locks, remote start, disable dark mode, enable DRL's and more. Then I just had to buy a key on Amazon for $25 and program the remote and I had remote start and locks, it was stupid simple if you're at all computer literate.

Police cars don't have PATS, so any key will start it, but you can still program the remote portion separately and it works just like a normal explorer, you'd never know the difference.
What year is yours?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back