Solved - TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved TSB 02-7-6 4.0L SOHC Timing Chain Rattle

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
:rolleyes: Well.. i went to finish mine up and time it.... low & behold... right guide is in pieces so im having to replace that. I have the trans out and rh cassette. Now i just need to order the new set and see how im gonna get the new guide in without removing the engine at all. lol

I haven't seen or heard of how that works in the truck, but I'll bet that the access plug R&R will be the only hard part. There is one bolt in the end of the head which holds the cassette assembly in place. Dealing with the access plug to get at the jackshaft bolt should be the biggest issue. Of course a second person will be needed to help with that jackshaft bolt. Try to have the whole front end(not cover) together when doing that bolt. The other engine parts help a lot to hold the jackshaft still while R&Ring its bolt. Check with a shop manual also beforehand for any tips or details. Good luck and post a few pictures if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The access plug wasnt a biggy once the trans\flywheel were out. Im more concerned on whether or not im going to be able to get that guide and cassette back in. It was broke so getting the old stuff out was easy bc nothing was full length. lol Ill try and snap some pics tonight and post them. CDW, do you happen to know the part number for that rear plug?

I don't, there have been a couple of threads here where others did a good job of posting many part numbers. I'd search for "part numbers SOHC tensioner" or a variation of that.

Here is a quote of a post in a thread using that search above, it lists the plug last. Check with Ford to be sure that it is correct. Regards,

From White98 - "

Rear Cassette(Passenger Side)
4L2Z-6M290-AA

Front Cassette(Driver Side)
4L2Z-6M289-AA

Timing Cover Gasket
F77Z-6020-AB

Girdle Gasket
F77Z-6710-AA

Balance Tensioner
1L2Z-6L266-AA

Jackshaft Tensioner
YL2Z-6L266-AA

Jackshaft Chain
F77Z-6268-AB

Jackshaft Chain Guide
2L2Z-6K297-AA

Jackshaft Cap/Cover
F77Z-6C341-AA
"

I see, that's a typical issue with part numbers. There are so many that it is common for them to get mixed up. My parts man I have dealt with for 30 years doesn't make mistakes like that often. Deal with a trusted vendor.

When it comes this kind of thing I am as Dumb as a box of rocks. I want to replace everything that I can without removing the Engine. I have these part numbers for the timing kits YL2Z-9E473-AA and 2U3Z-6D256-CA What else do I need to complete this adventure besides the tool kit 6488?

Thanks Fellows any help is greatly appreciated.

When it comes this kind of thing I am as Dumb as a box of rocks. I want to replace everything that I can without removing the Engine. I have these part numbers for the timing kits YL2Z-9E473-AA and 2U3Z-6D256-CA What else do I need to complete this adventure besides the tool kit 6488?

Thanks Fellows any help is greatly appreciated.

I would recommend reading this entire thread. There is a wealth of knowledge in here. Many of the questions you ask and want to ask are most likely already answered in here. As for leaving the engine in, IMO you are much better off pulling the engine and replacing all of the parts rather than fixing the stuff you can reach while its in the vehicle. Why would you want to do it all over again in a few months. Add an extra 2 hours to the job and pull the motor. The rear cassette would be a ***** to replace with the engine in. Especially to get to the jack shaft/plug. Plus you then need to pull the tranny and the x-fer case.

*Engine - 4.0L SOHC - Rattle noise from primary chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only

*Noise - Rattle noise from primary timing chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only - vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC Engine only

Ford: 99-02 Explorer, 01-02 Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
Mercury: 99-02 Mountaineer

Issue:

Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (Single Over-Head Cam) engine may exhibit a Primary Timing Chain rattle noise. The noise is audible during hot and cold engine operation (but predominantly found on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 rpm. To confirm presence of this noise, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000-3000 rpm and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner system.

Action:

Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fastners, primary timing chain, and front cover gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure:

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct kit and follow the sheet supplied with the kit.

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-AA (balance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x4 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac
-All 02 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-BA (non blance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x2 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x2 Sport/Sport Trac
-02 Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
-All 2001-02 Ranger

Labor Time: Estimated around 6 hours

Warranty Status: Elgible under the provisions of Bumper to Bumper warranty coverage

has ford helped anyone out there with this problem besides the 3/36 or extended warranty

Ford

Not to my knowledge. My 98 Explorer is 4 years out of the extended warranty and I only have 74567 miles on it but that is life. We have to bite the bullet and go on.

can someone explain the purpose of the balance shaft on the 4x4 engine?

Timing cahin 4.0 SOHC

Being a mechanic at a Ford dealership and having done a lot of chain cassette replacements I would not attempt this procedure without proper Ford Rotunda speciality tools for holding the cams and crankshaft to proper timing points. If you do attempt the repair all that you need to replace is the chain guides and the tensioner. Sprokets and chains are most likely still in good condition. Dont forget the rear chain cassette on the right head bank one. The engine will have to be removed to replace this cassette.
*Engine - 4.0L SOHC - Rattle noise from primary chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only

*Noise - Rattle noise from primary timing chain drive area between 2K-3K RPM - Cold engine operation only - vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC Engine only

Ford: 99-02 Explorer, 01-02 Sport Trac, Explorer Sport, Ranger
Mercury: 99-02 Mountaineer

Issue:

Some vehicles equipped with the 4.0 SOHC (Single Over-Head Cam) engine may exhibit a Primary Timing Chain rattle noise. The noise is audible during hot and cold engine operation (but predominantly found on cold engines) under acceleration, typically at 2400-2500 rpm. To confirm presence of this noise, accelerate in 2nd gear between 2000-3000 rpm and listen for rattle noise that sounds similar to spark knock. This may be caused by the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner system.

Action:

Replace the Primary Timing Chain Tensioner, Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets with a Primary Timing Chain Tensioner Kit. The kit includes an improved Primary Chain Tensioner, as well as updated Primary Chain Guide, Jackshaft, and Crankshaft Sprockets. Required fastners, primary timing chain, and front cover gaskets are also included. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

Service Procedure:

Verify the condition. Obtain the correct kit and follow the sheet supplied with the kit.

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-AA (balance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x4 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x4 Sport/Sport Trac
-All 02 Explorer/Mountaineer, except engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA

Use kit 2U3Z-6D256-BA (non blance shaft engines) for:
-99-01 4x2 Explorer/Mountaineer
-01-02 4x2 Sport/Sport Trac
-02 Explorer/Mountaineer with engine codes 2G-960-AA and 2G-964-AA
-All 2001-02 Ranger

Labor Time: Estimated around 6 hours

Warranty Status: Elgible under the provisions of Bumper to Bumper warranty coverage

if the jackshaft chain has jumped timing how do I get the crank and cams back in time. I have the timing tool set, so I know setting the crank @ TDC is no problem, but i am concerned about the cams to the crank.

Everything starts at TDC, don't begin anything until the engine is at TDC.

Read that again, and do not forget it. There are no timing marks, everything depends on TDC, and the special timing tools.

:rolleyes: not to start an arguement here but... I strongly disagree that the engine "has to be removed" to do the RH cassette! Im no ford tech... hell... i personally dont like working on fords but i just did this and there was absolutely no reason to remove the engine on this 98 that i just did! I had to remove the Driveshaft, Lt Bank Exhaust(cat converter where it it meets the manifold and muffler) and the trans. In fact, i did this without a lift and in my garage. I do however agree you need to have the OTC Timing tools! Sounds like someone is trying to scare people to the dealer. :thumbdwn: If you dont believe me, i posted pictures. BTW... ive also located the part number for that Plug that covers the lower jackshaft sprocket in the back. Ill be posting the part number soon for whoever needs it. Heres the link.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208615

oh and to clarify about the clearence issues some were worried about. I wish i could have video taped the process. There wasnt any! I slid the lower sprocket and chain in and once i loosely fastened the lower gear, i slid the cassette in with no problem what so ever. The trickiest part was getting the lower gear in front of the jackshaft where it needed to be. It was as if it wouldnt slide in place with the chain wrapped around it. I described it the best i could. :)

Is there any consensus as to what percentage of the 2001 Sport Tracs out there will/might need this repair?

I mean, will 50% of them on the road need the repair? 90%?

Thoughts?

CMOS

Same problem... but 4.0 OHV

Hey guys...

Alright, so heres the problem. I have what seems to be the something like problem as described through all of this (with a few discrepencies). BUT...i dont have the SOHC...i have the 4.0 OHV EFI. Do any of you have an idea of what the problem is???

Its a 99 explorer sport, like i said the 4.0 OHV 5 speed. It only does the rattle between 1900-2700 RPMs (give or take...). Primarily...it does it more when the motor is warm rather than cold. It doesnt need to be under acceleration either. I can be at highway speeds, and I put my foot on the accelerator and press about 1/4 of the way down...the rattle comes out until i either let off or press farther down. Or if i am shifting...if i accelerate, every time i let off the gas...when the pedal reaches that point, the rattle makes an appearance for a second.

To be honest with you...it sounds like bearings gone bad or a valve. But in my experience, both of these noises are continuous...and dont just come out under accleration...

I figured i'd ask you guys before i took it to a shop.

PLEASE HELP!!! :eek: its driving me nuts

Welcome, and what you have is typical pre-ignition(pinging). Look around for the common sources of that. Work on those many tune-up items to remove or lessen that pinging. Regards,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

pre ignition ping...

What all should i check out for that?
spark plugs...? plug wires...?
run some fuel additive/injector and combustion chanber cleaner through it...?
what else should i look for?

Back