Tune up time, what to do, where to purchase? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tune up time, what to do, where to purchase?

Steeda90GT

Reaction score
City, State
Central NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport
Well my 99 V6 SOHC Explorer has 90+k miles on it so I would like to tune it up. The owner already gave me a set of BOSCH platinum plugs for free so I guess I will just use though. What else should I do? I would like to tune this thing up completely! Here is what I have planned so far:

Plugs
Wires
Air filter (should I get a K&N or just a regular filter)
Fuel filter
PCV valve (do these trucks have them?)
Clean throttle body out
Clean MAF

Is there anything Im missing? Is there a complete tune-up kit that I can purchase? I know with my stang I just purchase this complete motorcraft kit from Ford for like $79. Is there anything similiar like that for the explorers?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if its an auto you should do a trans flush and filter (or pan drop and filter)

K&N is always better then a paper filter IMO
The owner is you so you gave yourself Bosch plugs? I would double check the part number

You should flush the: power steering, cooling system and brake fluid
change the rear diff fluid
check your shocks, check your brakes (all 4)
Clean the IAC

and reset the computer when you are all done.

I would ditch the Bosch plugs and go with Motorcraft double platinums instead. You might also want to replace the plug wires.

Yes, you have a PCV valve and it would be prudent to replace it.

Good luck ......

he listed wires

Bosch plugs are garbage, don't use them.

You can get most of the other stuff on your list from www.rockauto.com They carry Motorcraft stuff for really good prices.

What about oil? What kind does the SOHC like?

I meant weight, what oil weight is recommended for SOHC 4.0L engines?

How do you flush the power steering fluid and brake fluid? I have seen people just like turkey basters to just take te fluid out, and then replace with new, is this how you do it? Or is that te ghetto way?

spotdog14 said:
How do you flush the power steering fluid and brake fluid? I have seen people just like turkey basters to just take te fluid out, and then replace with new, is this how you do it? Or is that te ghetto way?

While not the optimal method of flushing the PS system, the turkey baster method will worl and works well.

To flush the brake fluid, simply bleed the brakes and add new fluid.

5W30 depending on your environment, oil viscosity is recommended but if you have extreme winters or summers you may consider fluxuating a bit.

If you do the turkey baster method plan to do it 4 or 5 times in a few days to get most of the old fluid out, until it runs red again.

Back