Turbo Charger for SOHC 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turbo Charger for SOHC 4.0L

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are a few turbo SOHCs that I've seen out there. Klowns just turbo'ed his X, but I think it's an OHV.

It's usually cheaper and easier to s/c an X unless you have access to really cheap parts and labor for the turbo. Adding a turbo usually takes a lot more plumbing, fab, and know-how.

If you hand someone your truck and checkbook and ask for a turbo setup, expect it to cost anywhere from $5000-10000.

Yeah well there isn't a Supercharger made for the SOHC and i was thinking maybe see what i can do towards the Turbo area or just say screw it and get ZEX. I think a 2001 Explorer Sport Turbo would be awesome

i could be wrong but i thought explorer express had a s/c for SOHCs. someone correct me if im wrong (their site wont work for me today so i cant check it)

The SOHC EE kit should be out by this summer, it's in late R&D.

My ZEX kit is still for sale if you're interested ;)

Well **** i hope the Supercharger comes out soon thats the reason i was considering a Turbo or Nitrous but hey i can save for a Supercharger. Awesome finally the SOHC rains supreme well in a while. Hey do you guys know any other company's besides EE that will be making a supercharger like maybe Vortech or Eaton.

Sorry the Explorer Express one is an Eaton. Hey Alec is yours an Eaton also and how much increase did you get from your SC. Thanks oh and how much would this charger give me.

By itself the s/c kit probably gave me about 50% more power at the wheels than stock. With my other mods I have almost double the power at the wheels as stock.

IMO you HAVE to do at least intake and exhaust in addition to the s/c. That will give you about 65% more power than stock.

So yes, it is worth it :D

So if the SOHC has about 160 at the wheels you'll be looking at 240-250 with the s/c and other mods.

Originally posted by Alec
By itself the s/c kit probably gave me about 50% more power at the wheels than stock. With my other mods I have almost double the power at the wheels as stock.

IMO you HAVE to do at least intake and exhaust in addition to the s/c. That will give you about 65% more power than stock.

So yes, it is worth it :D

So if the SOHC has about 160 at the wheels you'll be looking at 240-250 with the s/c and other mods.
250 at the wheels? :eek: I could probably beat the 95-99 GTs with that :D Heck I could give the auto 99+s a run for their money with the laughing gas.

An s/c SOHC with stock tires is probably worth low 15s. Highly tuned, high 14s maybe.

I think since the Supercharger is ungodly expensive i think maybe for a nice clean look i want the Venom 2000 Nitrous Kit anf Forged internals. That Nitrous kit is insane its electronicly controled and the cleanest Nitrous system i have ever seen. Where could i get forged pistons for my truck. What do you guys think.

Originally posted by Alec
An s/c SOHC with stock tires is probably worth low 15s. Highly tuned, high 14s maybe.
Really? A stock SOHC runs a very low 16 second 1/4 stock. I am sure a S/C one would break into the 14s. After intake/exhaust, I would bet the supercharger would place it in the high 14 bracket un-tuned.

Originally posted by Majisto
Really? A stock SOHC runs a very low 16 second 1/4 stock. I am sure a S/C one would break into the 14s. After intake/exhaust, I would bet the supercharger would place it in the high 14 bracket un-tuned.
I'm with Alec, somewhere in the low to mid 15's. EE could only get about a 15.3 or something like that out of their 5.0 Explorer with their charger and other mods. And the 5.0 is going to respond a lot better to mods with a much more beefier torque curve, the sohc should be at least a mid 15 though.

You'll still better watch out for auto 99+ GT's though
;) My friends auto 00' GT convertable ran a 14.3 with only a flowmaster exhaust and K&N, a 150 shot won't put you anywhere near that:p unless you had every bolt on and the supercharger and 150 shot....then maybe you'll have a chance lol

Won't know for sure until we have good numbers ;)

BTW, with about 230 at the wheels, 4.30 gears, and 33x12.50 tires I ran 15.8 last time. Since I've done a little more and could probably get 15.6 on a good day now.

With stock tires, 3.27 gears, and about 210 at the wheels I ran a best of 15.6 I believe.

I am certain it would be much quicker than mid 15s considering the fact that two people have already posted here with SOHC Sports where they ran 15.5 & 15.6 with a cat-back, intake and chip. That should be about right considering my '97 SOHC was significantly quicker with the same mods and 32" tires than it was when I ran it completely stock with 50K miles on it. Stock it ran 16.3. With my mods and 32" tires I would guestimate that it was in the 15.7-15.9 range. With my stock 30" tires it should be in the 15.5-15.7 range. Now with my 33s it feels like it is probably in the mid-upper 16s now. Once I get above 3000 RPM it takes off, unfortunately that is now at about 40 MPH.

The SOHC motor really wakes up above 3,400 RPMs once it passes its torque curve. You guys don't understand how much that little 4.0 moves once it hits 6K :D I guarantee this X is a very low 16 right now completely stock down to the old Fram air filter ;) The supercharger will give me the low-end torque I need to get going, and let the engine get into its power curve faster. Once it's in the power curve, it's hello high 14s. 5.0 just doesn't have the top-end of the SOHC.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by Johhny Island
I think since the Supercharger is ungodly expensive i think maybe for a nice clean look i want the Venom 2000 Nitrous Kit anf Forged internals. That Nitrous kit is insane its electronicly controled and the cleanest Nitrous system i have ever seen. Where could i get forged pistons for my truck. What do you guys think.

If you think a supercharger is an ungodly exspence wait till you price CUSTOM forged pistons and rings to go on them. Then the tear down and reassemble, with other parts prices like gaskets and head bolts,of a SOHC. Add that to 4-6 months worth of nitrous and your right there with the supercharger kit in levels of cash spent. I can assure you of this. ;).

Later Doug904.

Back