• Register Today It's free!

Turbo ?'s

4POINT0SOHC

Reaction score
City, State
Bradenton,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ford Explorer Sport
i have a 2001 ford explorer sport with the sohc 4.0 v6. im looking to either turbo or supercharge it. i found a supercharger kit online, but im thinking turbo is gonna be alittle easier for me to afford cause i can piece the kit together. i need some info on parts i would need and who i can get to make the turbo manifold and downpipe cause i haven't found anyone that makes either for an explorer. i know it sounds kinda stupid but i like being different and doing things you don't see very often. im not loking to make 500 horse or anything, but 300 would be awesome. if anyone has any info on parts or have any parts, lmk please. thanks in advance for all the help i recieve!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

... turbo is gonna be alittle easier for me to afford cause i can piece the kit together. ...i like being different and doing things you don't see very often.
Most of the time, the road less travelled is often the most costly ($$) - mainly because everything is a "one off" part and not just "off the shelf".

Put the turbo in a Y pipe that comes off the stock manafolds. maybe some were under that car. have the exaust shop do it for you. for a Y pipe and 3inch exaust all the way to the back would cost < 500. then you could run intake tubes from under the hood to the turbo back up to the intake. tubes would be cheap. get them from lowes. pvc and rubber elbos. prime and paint the pvc black. get tuned. call it done

i would do any off roading with the explorer. might damage the turbo plus in an off road situation the turbo would never spool to make pressure.

cost turbo 300 used look in you local paper maybe you have a local classified website i find all sorts of good stuff on mine
exaust work 500
ducting maybe 125
tune 300

Cool deal, i've never heard of using pvc, but if it works it works i guess. Thanks for all the help so far guys!

yeah pvc is not very profesional but it will look all right once you get the rubber fittings. rubber looks cool. its black and is held on by stainless hose clamps.

the advantages of pvc: it easy to cut and shape, there are tons of fittings and sizes, its super cheap compared to metal, it will act as an insulator to keep the engine bay heat out of the intake air.

i made a ram air/ high flow/ cold air intake
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=247050

it works, after tracking down all the leaks it makes about a 1/4 psi of boost at 60 mph.

Back