• Register Today It's free!

twin turbo mounty

explorinitup

Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach, virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer 5.0 on boost
Just picked up a twin turbo set up from a fox body. I know its coming.(it won't fit) not worried about that. I can make it. But I have a few questions for the performance guys. Turbo cooling. The turbos are coolant cooled. Need some advice on where to plumb it. Or is a stand alone cooling system a option? And for oil. I'm just going to t into the oil passage by the timing cover and run restrictors on the turbos. And any input and tips is appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are the turbo's journal bearing?

Where are you planning on sticking them? Battery in the back and relocate the coolant/wind shield tanks?

As far as the oil feed, a T off the oil pressure gauge is actually really easy. Oil return is probably much more difficult.

How are you planning on plumbing the exhaust? We are so space restricted in our engine bays with our tight frame rails. I love the comments...Just flip the exhaust manifolds..LOL That's just not an option in an explorer.

I don't have any experience with turbo's that have coolant running thru them except for guys saying you don't need to do that. I guess you would need to plumb a line from the water pump outlet to the inlet. I'd be looking real hard at T'ing in to the heater core lines for this. That has to be the easiest, if you even need the coolant at all.

I have to say, my rear mount turbo system has worked flawlessly, it seems to be my inability to build a motor holding me back. I'm also sure that a front mount will give you faster response with the boost. My turbo is slow to spool in first gear, although I probably have a bit of a sizing issue (It's close enough that I won't be changing it).

I'm excited to see someone else taking the ball. There are some great advantages to a turbo. The exhaust plumbing is an issue though.

they are custom made manifolds and the turbos mount to the top. the space is a real problem. i keep looking and im going to loose something and more than likely its the a\c lol. The battery is going to be rear mounted and the over flow will be down sized. the turbos them self are nissan rb26 turbos. they are journal style. the exhaust i might just end up running on the outside the frame. im just starting on the project so i still have a lot to plan and figure out. but as for cooling. what do you think of a stand alone system like in a supercharger air to water type system.

Don't go stand alone oil system. Your asking for serious pain.

T off the oil pressure sensor. Its really easy to do. All you have to do is take off the drivers front accessory bracket and its right there. If your going to loose your air conditioning, your right there anyway. Plan on an4 oil feed to the turbo's, and an10 oil return to who knows where?

Do you think you really need the coolant running thru the turbo's? more research required on this.

Now, oil return might be more difficult. Maybe, just maybe, the turbo's will be high enough that your oil returns can be in your valve covers. If that's not going to work, your looking at your oil pan. This gets more interesting. Do you have a front diff to deal with?

You don't have gt40p heads, that's a good thing for the manifolds. Lets hope as you lay the manifolds in place there is lots of room. Even better if you can sneak the exhaust on the inside of the frame.

This is exciting! when does the boxes show up at your door?

i all ready have the kit. i just need to remember the log in for my photo bucket so i can post them. and the oil system i am running off the motor.the stand alone system im asking about is just for coolant. the turbos will sit level if not a little above the valve covers. the a\c receiver dryer and a little bit of the condenser box will need to modded a little bit to make room. but it all looks promising!!!!

20160504_134651_zps4sitaoyr.jpg

When you eyeball it, does it look like there is room for those manifolds? I'm concerned looking at them. The drivers side steering shaft looks like an issue.

I'd worry about the coolant ports on the turbo's last. You could get the turbo's installed and decide sometime in the future about the coolant system. I think the coolant is more to help heat the turbo's, then to keep them at a consistent temp to help under hood temperatures. A stand alone coolant system will probably reduce performance and certainly increase complexity.

The exhaust will be the hardest part, so concentrate on that for sure.

If that'll fit okay, then you should have tons of room for a water/air intercooler. Place it right above the lower intake manifold, which should be a TFS R lower. That's a much better lower intake than the GT40, way better. Get that IC mounted there, and then run water lines from it to a heat exchanger up front.

It sounds like fun.

What's your plan for tuning the engine?

Subscribin'!!

Mmm, twin turbos :D

i was just going to run a front mount intercooler for now just to make it easy. i can upgrade it later. as for tuning i all ready have a sct and i have a great tuner down here. i found out a little more about the turbos. they are a 45v1 nissan turbo off of a r33-34. so they might be a ball bearing but i need to pull one apart to see. but with this set up i could push up to 20psi ish. but that for a later date. im going to run 8-10. does any one know what a stock motor can handle? i see a lot of mustang guys 14-16 and be fine with valves and valve springs.

I'd say you are fine with 14 to 16lbs. For whatever reason I just couldn't seem to hold my heads down. That was my real reason for an aluminum head upgrade. Interestingly enough, I'm still struggling and I don't think it has anything to do with boost.

The stock hypereutectic pistons can handle boost if the A/F and timing are just right, so most people suggest keeping it under 10psi until the tuning is perfect.

little update. was looking for fittings for the oil lines so i can order them and found out i have 45v1 turbos. they are ball bearing and from what i can find they are the biggest baddest turbos nissan put on the skylines. also what they put on tt 300zx fairlady cars. i got the whole kit for half of what one turbo go for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did the setup work on the original car it was on? Was it a 302?
This sounds fantastic! Spool time should be nice and quick.

I'm not sure about the oiling now, but can you see in the oil inlet if it looks like there is an oil restrictor in each turbo? It might just be built in to the turbo's and you don't even need to think about that part of it.

Back