Turn Key, wont crank for a few seconds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn Key, wont crank for a few seconds

Dan Gilmore

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer XLT
New to this forum because the girlfriends 2011 explorer is acting funny and I have a suspicion about what the issue is.

When she turns the key it takes approximately 2 seconds before anything happens. Then it will crank right up. I am under the assumption that she has a non-FORD made copy of the key and that is the issue but could be the security module too. Its becoming a worry because it seems to be taking longer for the computer to react to the key being turned. She says the security light flashes when this happens but I haven't taken a look since I threw my code scanner on it a few weeks ago. BTW no codes from the OBD2 port were stored.

It's slightly concerning because she is going on a cross country trip in two weeks and I don't want her being stuck in bumfuckville even though shes packin heat. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Battery low in the key?

Does it look like this? Ford uses several so not sure which one you have.

15265606880854384637872978378275.jpg

I'd pop it open just to verify it doesnt have one. Not sure how it can transmit a signal without one.

I'd pop it open just to verify it doesnt have one. Not sure how it can transmit a signal without one.

The way transponder keys work is that they have a little IR computer chip inside the key that when stimulated by an IR wave emitting device (located in the steering column that is physically hooked up to the cars computer) that is matched specifically to it they "mate" and it allows the computer to start the car. Its the same technology in some credit cards how you can simply touch the card to a device and it accepts payment.

Thanks for the explanation.

I am assuming you only have 1 key then and it is that generic one?

Thanks for the explanation.

I am assuming you only have 1 key then and it is that generic one?

correct she only have the BOBO brand key.
Just to reiterate, there are no other issues with the car itself. Once the computer reacts, the car starts on the first crank. I guess I will have her price out a genuine key at the dealership today.
I was just wondering if it was a common issue with these cars. I have never owned a FORD myself and don't know how common this issue is.

Might just be a flaky key. That's definitely an imitator of a Ford transponder key to be sure.

Its not a battery powered key I don't think. Im pretty sure its a transponder key
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
According to the Owner's Manual, there are 2 types of keys for the Explorer. The Integrated Keyhead Transmitter (IKT) and the Intelligent Access Transmitter (IAK). Both have a battery.

Peter

Back