Turn Signal Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Turn Signal Issues

Slnova

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sport 2dr
Hello Everyone,

I would first off like to thank everyone that helped me with my last post!
I have a 2003 Explorer Sport (2dr) and I would like to start off by saying it seems to be very difficult to find accurate information on this somewhat unique explorer.

I am having an issue with the turn signals. They will usually start off blinking at a normal rate but then i can hear the flasher noise speed up 2-3 times faster than normal but the lights do not flash. It can be normal or fast any number of cycles with no pattern that i can tell. This happens with both the left and the right turn signals.

I can't seem to determine the correct fuse diagram for my SUV as i have found two that contradict each other. I also don't know if there is a relay under the hood for this year of Explorer sport or a flasher unit under the dash. I pulled off the cover under the steering column but can't see a flasher unit there either so I'm at somewhat of a loss.

I'm hoping that it is a fuse/relay/flasher unit issue and not the start of some sort of wiring gremlin so any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you for your time,

Stuart

As you've probably read here, 2001-03 two-door Sports and 2001-05 Sport Tracs have identical front ends. Common issue is the Multi Function Switch (MFS) harness is too short from the factory causing binding and shorting. IF you have a tilt column, move it up and down several times leaving it ALL THE WAY IN THE UP POSITION. Easy test, give it a try and GL.

Steering wheel tilt makes left blinker stop working | Ford Explorer and Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
I did as you suggested but the steering column position did not seem to make a difference.

I decided to try a few other things and found that if i turn on the hazard lights the blinkers act completely normal. Any thought on why that might be?

Thanks,

Stuart

Back