• Register Today It's free!

turn signals out, help!!!

EL DOG

Reaction score
City, State
Fresno, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Eddie Bauer
I did a search but couldn't find anything on this problem, my turn signals do not work, the signal lights in the car don't turn on and on the outside the signals don't light up, nor do the emergency lights. i checked the fuses but everything is alright in there. I have a 96 EB, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

turn signals don't just have fuses, but they also have flasher relays. yours are probably out, or there may be a central turn signal wire harness that came apart. Just wondering: how do your wipers work?

Originally posted by aldive
Sounds like a flasher problem.

Good luck.....

The flasher for the turn signals should be independant from the emergency one.

I agree with Alec, it sounds like a loose wire.

The wipers are working fine. I guess i'm going to have to take it to a shop, oh and by the way driving around LA without turn signals is a whole lot of fun. thanks for the imput guys.

i bought the flasher relay thing, does anyone know where the thing happens to be on the car.

This might sound stupid, and maybe you checked. but I jumped a car and then was stoped after because I had NO brake lights. I searched hi and low, even replaced a fuse. Still nothing. I got so frustrated I took it in. The shop guy and I spend a half hour before we found out that Both bulbs were burnt out.

Just a possibility.

I know that mine also has a problem where if the steering wheel is tilted all the way down the blinkers don't work but if it's up they do.

I heard something like this a while back. turned out it was the guys turn signal arm. there was a loose wire in it.

My turn signals just went out too. However, my 4 way falshers still work. When you first turn the signal on you can hear one "ping" from the flasher unit but the turn signals never blink.

I have replaced the Multi function switch about a year ago because my wiper switch on it went bad.

Also (I'm not sure if this could possible be related) but I just noticed that my stock radio everything works fine except the AM side of the radio. I know that the radio is recieving the signal 'cause the seek & scan still stop on the appropriate chanels but the the sounds cuts out (almost all of the time.) Flip it back over to FM and it works fine.

That's weird... Hun?

Anyway, it's a '92 XLT.

I'm thinking about tearing back into the steering column and seeing if one of the bar plugs has come loose....

any other ideas?

Originally posted by Pluto
My turn signals just went out too. However, my 4 way flashers still work. When you first turn the signal on you can hear one "ping" from the flasher unit but the turn signals never blink.

Replace the flasher unit itself, it is probably sticking.

Originally posted by Pluto
Also (I'm not sure if this could possible be related) but I just noticed that my stock radio everything works fine except the AM side of the radio. I know that the radio is recieving the signal 'cause the seek & scan still stop on the appropriate chanels but the the sounds cuts out (almost all of the time.) Flip it back over to FM and it works fine.
[/B]
Check the antenna cable going into the radio, nad make sure it is not loose.....AM won't play without an antenna, but FM still does..

My turn signals quit working yesterday just as I began pulling my boat home from the lake for winter storage. Hauling a 3000+lb rig 120 miles home in an underpowered 91 Splorer was bad enough to start with, but with no turn signals YIKES. Anyway, I bought a new flasher relay and found where it mounts on the back side of the fuse panel, but there is a plastic cover over the relay that seems to be securing it to the panel. I can't seem to get the bugger off so that I can replace the relay. Is this designed to keep the relay from coming loose, or maybe to keep do it yourselfers from making simple $3 repairs.

Anyone know how to remove the plastic cover so that it can be reused? I wouldn't want to deprive the next owner of any fun in dealing with this simple fix!

'91 Explorer XLT 4x4 (PLAIN JANE)

I solved my problem (well not really) but I didn't want to mess around with the fuse panel so I though I would take a look under my steering column. I removed the screws from the bottom and when I popped up the left side of it the flashers started working again. I have no idea what happened but they are fixed.

Originally posted by Soonerfan85
My turn signals quit working yesterday just as I began pulling my boat home from the lake for winter storage. Hauling a 3000+lb rig 120 miles home in an underpowered 91 Splorer was bad enough to start with, but with no turn signals YIKES. Anyway, I bought a new flasher relay and found where it mounts on the back side of the fuse panel, but there is a plastic cover over the relay that seems to be securing it to the panel. I can't seem to get the bugger off so that I can replace the relay. Is this designed to keep the relay from coming loose, or maybe to keep do it yourselfers from making simple $3 repairs.

Anyone know how to remove the plastic cover so that it can be reused? I wouldn't want to deprive the next owner of any fun in dealing with this simple fix!

'91 Explorer XLT 4x4 (PLAIN JANE)
DONT TAKE THE PLASTIC THINGIE OFF!!!
Its just there to keep it from knocking around. there is no top on the plastic piece. Just use a flat blade screwdriver and pry it up. It will come right out. You could probably just use your fingers. Real easy fix.

Have fun!!!

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for the tip. I installed a new relay but the turn signals still don't work. Emergency flashers and wipers were working fine though so probably nothing to do with the wiring harness as it looks well connected. Will try the bulbs and see if maybe a loose wire or maybe a bad flasher relay from AutoZone.

While I had the steering column off, I noticed the plastic cover on the gear shift indicator cable was broken. The cable looks ok, but it must be binding in the break as my gear indicator is very slow to move into the proper position. Guess I'll try and patch this up by splicing some type of cylantrical (did I just invent a new word?) cover over the cable. Wouldn't know how to tighten the gear shift lever on the steering column would you? It's kind of loose.

Too bad I now have to sell the Splorer cause it just don't have enough umph to tow my boat.

David

OK. now I really am confused. Since the turn signals still don't work even after replacing the flasher relay (twice just in case the first was bad, purchased from different stores) and checking bulbs (they looked OK) I decided to check to make sure the brake lights were working. Yes they work, but I then tried the turn signal and noticed the brake light would go off when I activated the turn signal. Try left turn signal, left brakelight would go out. Sam for right side. Soon as I cancel the turn signal, the brake light came back on.

Is this little Splorer possessed or is this something simple to fix? Any ideas out there?

I'm having the same problem in my '93 XLT. The turn signals do not work on the display and neither do the outside lamps. The hazard flashers work. The wipers work. I replaced ALL of the bulbs. I replaced the flasher relay above the fuse box. Hazard flashers and wipers still work.

The brake lights work, but when I try the left turn signal the left brake light goes out...turn off the left turn signal, the brake light goes back on. Same for the right side. Is the steering column and wiring the next step? It worked for EL DOG.

Back to the truck with the screwdriver...
--Jim

Hey Jarlien,

At least now that we've discovered the turn signal cuts out the brakes light, we have a makeshift turn signal. Took the boat out for one last cruise this afternoon and turned signal off and on using this method when braking. At least the cars behind me knew when I was going to turn, just not until after my brake lights came on. Hope some smart shadetree mechanic has a solution for us. :confused:

Finally solved the turn signal problem. Simply a blown fuse. Yes the turn signals do have a dedicated fuse, at least on my '91 anyway. Guess if I'd looked in the owners manual I'd have seen it on the fuse panel diagram. Now all I need to do is find the wire in my wiring harness that caused the short and blown fuse!:confused:

Originally posted by Soonerfan85
Finally solved the turn signal problem. Simply a blown fuse. Yes the turn signals do have a dedicated fuse, at least on my '91 anyway. Guess if I'd looked in the owners manual I'd have seen it on the fuse panel diagram. Now all I need to do is find the wire in my wiring harness that caused the short and blown fuse!:confused:

Sometimes fuses just, well, blow. I reccomend waiting to see if it blows again, then look for a possible problem.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back